Hours of Work

Options
My husband has been working for a pharmacy delivering medication for a year
He was employed for 15 hours as it was a new business they didnt know whether he would be very busy and could only work those hours as it was permitted work whilst getting incapacity benefit .

He however during this time has worked loads of overtime working two to three hours over some days for no extra pay as he loves the job so much .It is now a thriving Business
He has now reached 65 and can work as many hours as he wants and get paid for it
He asked his boss for overtime pay and was told they will not pay overtime due to the credit crunch and says his contact is for 15 hours a week His boss is also saying if its a quiet day one day they will now send him home and expect him to make up the hours the next day which means he might have to work 6 hours.
In effect now he has to be available each day of the week at any time This makes it impossible to plan any thing as it appears he has to be available all day everyday
He has also been stopped bringing the van home lunchtime so they are adding an extra half hour to his day unless he takes the car or I drop him off and pick him up His boss says its to do with Vat
I think all this is unreasonale Will ring AcaS Monday Any one here have any ideas He would hate to finish but they seem to be taking advantage

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm not sure much can be done if this is an independent pharmacy; there is also a risk that the service could be pulled with a month's notice. I agree you need professional HR advice as this case is not that straight forward.

There may be rich pickings to be had if we're talking about Alliance Boots though!!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Jennywren3
    Options
    What do you mean rich pickings if it was Boots
  • Jennywren3
    Options
    Is ACAS the best organisation to get advice or is there someone else
  • Mudd14
    Mudd14 Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    ACAS will offer the best employment advice :)

If he is working then he should be paid for every hour worked, unless there is a stipulation in his employment contract? Also does it specify his days to work in the contract?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Working less than 16 hours a week entitles his to benifits (can't remember what it's called), if he is making a claim (????) they will find out that he's working more hours and he could end up having to back pay. If this is the case they'll make all sorts of assumptions that could lead to a huge bill, so be VERY careful!

Oh and if an employer pulled that stunt on me, i'd tell them to "go forth and multiply".
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Jennywren3
    Options
    His work was permitted work He was allowed to work 15 hours He is now on pension so he can work as many hours as he wants The boss said hours can also be carried forward to next week so it he works 20 hours one week they will take it off next week if necessary so not to pay overtimeHe is contracted to do 15 hours per week wethought he was contracted to work 11.30 til 1 and 4.30 til 6
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure