is this the new thing now..?

Options
Really disappointed, applied for a job that I really wanted to do, and I could do, and the application form comes back. its 30 points listed on the person spec, and the application form is 30 points- you have to answer each one with evidence of how you have done this in the past.

Now although I know I can do some of the things, I haven't actually done them before, and i have no examples. It really sucks and some of the examples are just stupid like "I have implemented my commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace"

part of it is silly because I'm applying to teach literacy and it asks at one point for " experience of working within relevant industrial/work area from which your subject derives" "developing equality of opportunity at work"

It doesn't give you any space to talk about your personality or what type of person you are and so on and so forth, they just want a list of incidents.

Arrghh! This is going to be a really crappy application and I'm wondering if there's any point sending it off, as I can only do half of it. :s
"What...? I was only saying...."

Comments

• bandraoi
    bandraoi Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Options
    Of course you can fill it in, just do what is expected, be a bit creative with your examples.

For instance:
    "I have implemented my commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace"
    have you ever complained about your (or someone elses) treatment in a shop/restaurant? Could you attribute that treatment to discrimination?
    It doesn't say it has to be your own workplace.
  • pebblespop
    pebblespop Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Options
    you won't get an interview unless you show good examples of each point - especially if there are lot's of applicants.

i have been know to stretch the truth on a few of the more obscure points on these type of things - just remember what you wrote!
  • starsinmycrown
    Options
    thanks guys, feeling a bit more positive now. i'm stumped on two things though, wonder if you can help...

ive worked one to one before with a wide range of people, but I have no formal experience as a teacher so I've never set work before. it asks me how i've got the ability to teach pupils to examination level. The only answer I can give is that I personally am very good at exams and I know what examiners want and have always MYSELF got As in English. Is it okay do you think, to explain that I know what to do, I can support others, I know the examination system etc and I know what you have to deliver.

Thing is, I've helped people informally before, by looking at their work, proofreading, helping with revision, but they seem to want to know how you've done this in a work setting. Is it a really crappy answer? They say they will train you on the job as a teacher, but I know if somebody IS a teacher I won't stand a chance!
  • brightonman123
    Options
    here's a classic 'mission statement', seen on a local firm's email signature..

"As a professional charity we are passionate and proud in continually
    striving to develop a quality service that empowers individual's through
    development, recognition of achievement and success"

:confused:
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • bandraoi
    bandraoi Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Options
    Thing is, I've helped people informally before, by looking at their work, proofreading, helping with revision, but they seem to want to know how you've done this in a work setting. Is it a really crappy answer? They say they will train you on the job as a teacher, but I know if somebody IS a teacher I won't stand a chance!

of course that's valid, you should also strengthen it by saying something about how your peers turn to you with their questions because they know you'll take the time to help them and have a knack of explaining it.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    The only answer I can give is that I personally am very good at exams and I know what examiners want and have always MYSELF got As in English. Is it okay do you think, to explain that I know what to do, I can support others, I know the examination system etc and I know what you have to deliver.

I don't think that the point you make in your first paragraph is very relevant to literacy teaching, in fact, rather the opposite. If you yourself are good at a subject, it can be really difficult teaching people who find it desperately hard and talking about exam preparation makes it sound as if you have little understanding of what the work involves.

Teaching someone informally is far more relevant to the work you're looking at. Also, have you done anything like helping your children to learn to read? When I was an adult literacy tutor, many of my colleagues were ex primary teachers because that was the most similar background to the work that we were doing.
  • starsinmycrown
    Options
    I don't think that the point you make in your first paragraph is very relevant to literacy teaching, in fact, rather the opposite. If you yourself are good at a subject, it can be really difficult teaching people who find it desperately hard and talking about exam preparation makes it sound as if you have little understanding of what the work involves.

Teaching someone informally is far more relevant to the work you're looking at. Also, have you done anything like helping your children to learn to read? When I was an adult literacy tutor, many of my colleagues were ex primary teachers because that was the most similar background to the work that we were doing.

ive worked with a lot of primary, EAL and sen kids and with young offenders before so I'm used to basic level stuff, but I know what you mean. I think I can bring my maths experience to it- i really am crap at maths and way behind and i've recently been to a nightclass where one of the teachers is good at maths and he seems unable to realise that most of us really have no knowledge, big confidence issues, can't see mathematical patterns etc. so ive recently been on the other side of it, so i understand how it feels to sit there as an adult.
  • bookduck
    bookduck Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Options
    ive worked with a lot of primary, EAL and sen kids and with young offenders before so I'm used to basic level stuff, but I know what you mean. I think I can bring my maths experience to it- i really am crap at maths and way behind and i've recently been to a nightclass where one of the teachers is good at maths and he seems unable to realise that most of us really have no knowledge, big confidence issues, can't see mathematical patterns etc. so ive recently been on the other side of it, so i understand how it feels to sit there as an adult.

Does this translate to "I am used to working with ASBO children and have some stolen gear in the boot of my car"? - just could not help being flippant :o

I'm with Oldernotwiser on the above and also read that your first paragraph is not that good, as it is more 'look at me' rather than what you can offer.

I would not used to word worked, but instead use tutored, mentored, supported, encouraged, lead, nurtured children from diverse socio-economic arena including young offenders, primary.....

Use your maths teacher as a positive example of someone being brilliant and the rest or the class being ordinary finding it hard to grasp, steps you did to get you and the other student to understand also how you informed the lecturer that things were not well. The the eventual outcome that you have all passed and was enjoyable (everyone loves a positive (happy ending))

"I have implemented my commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace" yes, got new kids that have just joined the school involved with the class, race/colour religion issue, getting some of the brighter students to hep the no so bright ones, sporty ones to help.... Then there us you understanding religious, diability and food needs.

Do like brightonman123 mission statement. think that will be stolen for my CV. Thank you!

Stars in my crown have a look at the STAR interview technique, or don't, as it is what singrid mentions :)http://www.quintcareers.com/STAR_interviewing.html

If it is an online form you are filling, get the british spell checker for firefox, if you are using firefox :)
    GOOGLE it before you ask, you'll often save yourself a lot of time. ;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What on earth is this equality and diversity in the workplace... I've only seen it mentioned here and now in a couple of job adverts.

No, I don't know what it is. No, I haven't done it, whatever it is... does that not mean they are discriminating against me for not doing whatever it is ...?
  • bookduck
    bookduck Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Options
    sigrid wrote: »
    at the end of the day to me we're all people and if you don't have the common sense to think "i can't speak English and i'm applying for a job in a call centre" or "i'm paralysed and I'm applying to be a personal trainer (for able bodies people)" you shouldn't be going for these jobs! lol

You made me laugh! This is a true story. Before I joined my current company they hired a Spanish guy to take calls on the telephone helpdesk. He (a) could not speak English (b) was deaf in both ears. All apparently he could shout down the phone was "Qu!, qu!... "

They did not know if they could fire him because it was discrimination etc as they employed him from an interview pannel and waited until he voluntary left 6-ish months later.
    GOOGLE it before you ask, you'll often save yourself a lot of time. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure