Dell Xeon server for 99GBP

Options
Just bought one of these myself. Dell are doing a Christmas offer on their Xeon servers. You can get a cut down Xeon with no software or monitor and only 128MB of RAM, 80Gig Hard Disk for £99 (ex VAT+ Delivery).

Happened to see it by accident and bought one straight off. I've been looking for a computer to use as a storage depot for video footage but up till this I've been priced out of servers.

imho Dell make very stable boxes but they are let down by their "upgrades" as they are generally massively overpriced. In the case of this box upgrading to an IDE RAID 0 array spanning 4 drives creating 1 Terabyte would have set me back an extra £1000. Buying 4x250MB IDE, controller card and DVD burner from ebuyer will set me back £500. Dell's argument is that if one drive breaks they will replace it within warranty. You'll get the same deal from ebuyer and if one drive in a RAID 0 fails you'll loose all your data anyway.

I'll quote the link here

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/servers_Q4_W5_pedge_1600sc_pe1218?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd

but just incase it doesn't work the deal can be picked up by visiting
https://www.dell.co.uk
go to the Small Business Section
and down the bottom is the "Featured System" a PowerEdgeTM 1600SC for £99,
a saving of £350 off their normal retail price.

Comments

• jimbobthomas
    Options
    Hello Sine,

Memory available is actually 256MB and the delivery will cost you £50 but deal is fantastic.

Jimbob.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    none of the links are working - it is not currently possible to purchase this server.
  • megazoid
    megazoid Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think they took it off the site, looks like dell screwed up on pricing again lol

Regards

Megazoid
    £2008 4 2008 Member No# 184
  • hesjane
    hesjane Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think they took it off the site, looks like dell screwed up on pricing again lol

Regards

Megazoid

I phoned dell about this and the price was right, but it was sold out within a very short time. It was end of line stock and so they will not be getting more in.
  • tin
    tin Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    HAHA I like the site

"DONT MISS THIS FANTASTIC DEAL"

then absolutely bloody nowhere to actually buy it - forcing you to miss the fantastic deal

if it's ended take the flippin thing off the site!!!!! >:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport