We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is soda water bad for you?

Options
I've been mixing fruit juice with soda water to make the fruit juice go further.

As a result, I'm getting through quite a lot of soda water. I know it contains traces of salt, but apart from that, is it bad for me?

All wisdom greatly received!

thanks
NMS
Highest debt - £24500 :mad:

Current debt - £0 !!!! :)

Debt-free date - 4 AUGUST 2006 :D

Official DFW Nerd No 0073

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It is acidic, and mixed with the fruit juice will form an excellent cocktail for erroding tooth enamel.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You really surprise me there Toothsmith, I would have thought soda water was one of the better things to have.
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    The only 'safe' drinks are milk & water.

Everything else does damage to some degree. Fizzy water is acidic - look what CO2 dissolved in rainwater has done to rocks- particularly limestone - over the centuries. And rain isn't fizzy!

The OP said they were drinking 'a lot'. Nothing is bad in moderation, but when I see 'a lot' in relation to fizzy or acidic juices - or even worse, both! - I get worried!!

P.S. I really like your signature, but would be out of a job if it were true!!
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • tipsychick
    Options
    Carbonated drinks (imagine from toothsmith's posts above that this does definitely include soda water as well as coke and other fizzy drinks) are linked with bone demineralization, i.e. osteopenia, osteoporosis, etc. which will mean your bones are more vulnerable to fracture as you get older.

I know just straight plain water doesn't sound terribly exciting as your tipple of choice but it's amazing how you get used to it and how refreshing it is whether it's out of the tap, bottled or filtered. (Less said of my red wine habit the better!)
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tipsychick wrote:
    I know just straight plain water doesn't sound terribly exciting as your tipple of choice but it's amazing how you get used to it and how refreshing it is whether it's out of the tap, bottled or filtered. (Less said of my red wine habit the better!)
    and the more you drink it, the more you really need it!!!

(goes for both wine and water :D)

Back on subject, I would assume that plain soda water in moderation is not anywhere as bad as seewt drinks....(Correct me Mr Toothsmith!)
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    A fair assumption. Just be aware that it is doing *some* damage.

There is plenty of good stuff in saliva to repair any damage done to teeth. The repair process takes a few hours though.

Problems arise when stuff that damages the teeth is going in at a faster rate than the saliva can repair.
    How to find a dentist.
  • blooming 'eck - glad I asked!

The soda water an attempt to wean me off the red wine tipsychick!

Toothsmith, I bet I know what your job is! Thanks so much for your comments. BTW, I have already had ozone treatment to try to restore the enamel to some of my teeth. My dentist has also recommended "tooth mousse" which apparently works in a similar way but via regular topical treatment.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I love this site!!

Me and my teeth = :D

• Toothsmith
    Options
    Tooth mousse is an excellent product! Perfect for your situation.

I bet your dentist is private with hardware like Ozone in the practice!
    How to find a dentist.
  • yep - my one extravagance!

had nightmare bad dentistry which = crown (no root canal first), crown didn't fit, led to abcess, followed by root canal, followed by 2nd root canal, followed by new crown, which broke, followed by super special reinforced crown - all on one tooth.

Found amazing private dentist, trust him completely.

I :heart: my dentist.

• Toothsmith
    Options
    yep - my one extravagance!

had nightmare bad dentistry which = crown (no root canal first), crown didn't fit, led to abcess, followed by root canal, followed by 2nd root canal, followed by new crown, which broke, followed by super special reinforced crown - all on one tooth.

Found amazing private dentist, trust him completely.

I :heart: my dentist.

Root canals shouldn't always be necessary prior to a crown. A healthy tooth that is just a bit broken should crown and live on afterwards.

Often, teeth that are crowned have been heavily filled first, and sometimes crowning can be the last straw that kills the tooth.

A tooth to be crowned should be thoroughly investigated first for signs of life (Not by making you scream!!) and that life should be preserved if it is there.

Root filled teeth have a shorter life than non-root filled ones,even with a crown on. That is why it is important to keep them alive if possible.
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport