Paying tax on investments

Options
I will be this April getting my 1st Self Assessment forms for 2008/9 after becoming part time self employed. My question is I have a 6 figure sum locked away for 5+ yrs in my investment portfolio with a Fund Manager via my IFA. Now when it comes to declaring savings (which I am aware of) do I also have to declare my investments, I receive nothing from them whilst the term of my long term investments are being held by the wealth management company?. thanks
Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    You only declare actual income accrued or received from your investments.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Nice one, many thanks
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Stavros wrote: »
    I will be this April getting my 1st Self Assessment forms for 2008/9 after becoming part time self employed. My question is I have a 6 figure sum locked away for 5+ yrs in my investment portfolio with a Fund Manager via my IFA. Now when it comes to declaring savings (which I am aware of) do I also have to declare my investments, I receive nothing from them whilst the term of my long term investments are being held by the wealth management company?. thanks

Are your investments in income or accumulation funds? If income funds a dividend will be paid even if you reinvest the dividend. If accumulation the dividend is paid through an increase in the unit price. Either way both have to be declared on your tax return.

With my investment portfolio I get a tax certificate for each dividend paid outwith my ISAs. Some of my funds are growth funds and have no yield.
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Jem, the Funds are income funds. I don't receive the dividends as the fund manager just ploughs the dividend back into my investment portfolio. So going by what you are saying I do have to declare these dividends?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Stavros wrote: »
    Hi Jem, the Funds are income funds. I don't receive the dividends as the fund manager just ploughs the dividend back into my investment portfolio. So going by what you are saying I do have to declare these dividends?

Yes you do assuming they are not held within a tax wrapper such as ISA or Investment Bond.

I have unit trusts held with Fidelity arrnaged through my IFA. Each time there is a dividend payment I receive a tax certifictae from Fidelity.

Who is your portfolio held with? Either ask them for the certificates or ask your IFA to get them as you will need to declare them.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What tax wrapper are the investments held in?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure