French tax rebate for UK resident ?

Options
Hi there,

I am currently working in france on a 3 month french contract. I am currently being taxed at 20 odd % and was wondering if it is possible for me to claim a tax rebate ?

I believe that I will be under my earning threshold for the year.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any French tax will be creditable against UK tax on the same income.
  • redsclubbedup
    Options
    so when i send off for a tax reabte i just need to tell them how much i earned in france, and how much tax I paid and the UK inland revenue will sort it for me ???

is that correct ?

thanks
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HMRC will not refund tax deducted in a foreign country. They will give you credit for it when they tally your income and tax at the end of the tax year.

It is up to you to reclaim overpaid tax from the French authorities and then declare the final pay and tax figures to the HMRC as you are resident here.

You have to pay tax somewhere and the double taxation agreement means that you shouldn't pay tax twice on the income. But if the French authorities give you all your tax back then you will be declaring untaxed foreign income to HMRC and they will then send you a tax bill if you are liable.
  • redsclubbedup
    Options
    thanks for the help guys - as i said im greatly under my earning threshold for the year, as i was made redundant and moved to france as i had work here.

does anyone have the relevant information with regards to whom I would have to write to ?

or any companies that handle tax rebates for a percentage, I know they are popular for people that work abroad in australia etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure