Recycling computers

W are clearing a lot of old computers for our son and would like help on where to take them in the North West.

I have previously recycled at a place in Ashton G Manchester, but they appear to be no longer there.

We would like them to go to someone / charity who can use the bits for spares if possible.

Has anyone an idea of who would take them? We can deliver if needed.

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theres recycle IT or these people in prestwhich

maybe try this link, heres my google search which i got the links from so you can have a look yourself
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    exlibris wrote: »
    W are clearing a lot of old computers for our son and would like help on where to take them in the North West.

I have previously recycled at a place in Ashton G Manchester, but they appear to be no longer there.

We would like them to go to someone / charity who can use the bits for spares if possible.

There's an older thread on recycling computers here which may be of use to you, however the advice about deleting information does say that you are best to remove the hard drive and smash it up to prevent any identity theft etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/mar/06/recycling.tech

HTH
  • you can get software to wipe the drives to Department of Defense spec, but it takes a LONG time..I personally opt for:

a) Pillar Drill
    b) Sledgehammer

depending on how stressed I am.

I cleared out 8 years worth of old IT a few days ago...IT recyc company I was going to use tried it on...I'd agreed a day, and £20 for a van to come and collect it. They tried to palm me off to next week "on the day", and said "£50 transit charge".

I laughed and hung up. 2 trips in the car to our community tip/recyc centre, and put it all in the "Electrical/Electronic" section with the rest of the technical dead.

I can't STAND companies that try and pull the wool. At least it's been disposed of at *A* recycling centre.
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exlibris wrote: »

Have you tried Freecycle? I gave my old one away to a group teaching youngsters about electronics ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides