Advice on buying DVD player

Options
Please I need some help to buy a fairly basic DVD. I do now know which one to get e.g multiregion or not, do not understand much about it. I have seen a Sony DVP-NS355 multi region at £62.55, the price is reasonable and it is a brand. I just want to know fellow members advice on it and how easy it is to set up. The TV, a sony is about 5 yrs old. Also I will have to put the box on top of my sky box,due to lack of space, will that be safe. Thanks.

Comments

• gk172
    gk172 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Multiregion is good if you order dvds from america or australia or outside europe even, all dvds have region coding and we are region 2 usa/canada region 1 etc and they will only play on multiregion machines or machines that has a code to allow it region free, but to be honest go to asda and get one of there machines, they come multiregion and will play anything i have thrown at it so far - pacific i think they are and you can get one in asda for the £30 ish mark or maybe even under :)
    The more i save the more i can spend:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    are you sure that asda sell multi region dvd players?

i asked my local asda whether they did multi region players and got the following response

The big chains like supermarkets where not allowed to legally sell multi region dvd players.....

multi region dvd players have been enhanced (albeit by hardware changes or software), after they have left the manufacturers.

i dont know if that was just the response of the chap i spoke too, but when i asked the same question in Richer Sounds they also implied the above
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • veronarona
    Options
    My non-expert view is:

If £60-odd is affordable, then it must make sense to get the same make as your TV, albeit that the 2 items are a few years apart in age.

I'm under the impression that most DVD players can have a code programmed into them to make them multi-regional, even the very cheap ones.

I stack 2 video machines - I place a couple of small blocks of wood on top of the bottom one before placing the other on top, creating a one-inch gap (approx) so as to allow air to pass between the machines. No-one advised me to do it, I just thought it seemed sensible. I've been doing it for at least 2 years with no problems, and they're not far from a radiator, either, which is really a no-no.

veronarona
  • veronarona
    Options
    PS: I've just seen some tantalising hints that there can be problems with some Sony players, so try to find a review of the model you decide on... that applies to whatever brand, of course.

You'll soon find yourself disappearing up your own whatsit, if my experience with DAB radios is anything to go by.

v.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport