We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Friends birthday - going to a spa?

It's my birthday next week and my friends birthday next month..

I am looking to go to a spa day with her for her birthday for a bit of relaxing etc. Looking at Stobo Castle but once you add in treatments etc it can add up = does anyone know of any discounts etc?

Or know of any other spa places in Scotland? I'm in Glasgow so can travel but would prefer not to travel anymore than 2 hours.

Thanks

oh, also looking to spend about £100 for both of us.


Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.

Comments

  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    anyone have any ideas?


    Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Definitely go to lastminute.com they have a whole range of 2 4 1 spa days out so you'll get a really good deal. Hotels are desperate for business just now - especially the miscellanous spending side of things. Have fun
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks, tried lastminute but just cannot get along with their website, plus it seems to be all vouchers and the terms and conditions seem a bit complicated!


    Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    have a look at buyagift.com.....sometimes do 2 for 1 deals and can usually find a discount code knocking about:D
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ok, so had a look around and I'm still stuck on Stobo Castle!

    Has anyone been and can convince me this is the way to go? I can go for a half day at £39.50 each plus £44.00 for a back massage or £89.50 for a full day with lunch with mud wrap or facial.

    The only spa I have been to before is one in Centre Parcs which seemed fab to me as I've never been to one before, but I absolutely loved all the different steam and sauna rooms, the aromas etc. Is this what it is like at Stobo? Or anywhere else that is similar?

    All the city centre ones seem to say 'sauna, steam room'... but I'm worried that these will just be like in a normal gym and that isn't what i am looking for..

    Thanks everyone!


    Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    hieveryone wrote: »
    Thanks, tried lastminute but just cannot get along with their website, plus it seems to be all vouchers and the terms and conditions seem a bit complicated!

    What do you mean you cannot get along with their website?

    I searched for spa offers and then did a regional search and the best priced were pretty good prices, you could take her to lunch with the savings!

    Sensory spa day at Bannatyne Spas - 28 locations nationwide - exclusive offer only £25 - voucher
    Enjoy this relaxing spa day, which includes a relaxing Swedish back, neck and shoulder massage and full use of the great facilities at the Sensory Spas in Bannatyne health clubs nationwide. Limited availability - book now for only . £25.00










    Cowshed Spa at Escape Health Club day pass - 2 for 1 offer - voucher
    A day for both of you at Edinburgh’s premier health club and spa. Enjoy an invigorating workout in the 60-station gym or take part in one of over 30 weekly classes. Then relax in the 16m stainless steel pool, sauna, steam room, spa bath and tropicarium. With arctic and tropical showers on poolside you will leave us feeling refreshed and revived.
    £25.00
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Just can't use it very well I'm rubbish at that type of thing, plus just not sure about the whole 'voucher' thing, whether I'd be able to get a specific date.

    Plus, not sure if the spas mentioned have what I want - is it 'laconium'? I.e the steam rooms with the aromatherapy oils etc?


    Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • FIK
    FIK Posts: 129 Forumite
    I love spa days but never get a massage in these places anymore. Even if they have a 'Special offer' you still pay well over the odds. The masseuse gets penuts and thus you don't tend to get very good masseuses in SPA' or hotels. My OH got me a massage at Norton House hotel and it was fairly good for once(they must pay better than most). BUT, When I found out he payed £90 I was shocked. I would rather he had booked an independant massues for £30 and I could have hade the massage in our room. To be fair Norton House is a nice hotel and the SPA is lovely but given we already get to use the SPA why pay the premium just because the massage is a SPA, especially when you have already paid for the SPA. Even there occasional special offers are well overpriced.

    If you ever stay in Edinburgh you can use my therapist:-)
  • mrLazy
    mrLazy Posts: 28 Forumite
    I have never heard of a decent SPA in UK. Please prove me wrong. Germany, Hungary are the places to go. As well as cheap they know how to run. I stayed in 4 star spa hotel in Uk and the sauna was not turned on until you asked and they take ages to warm up. They could not even see why this was a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.