We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

... an entry level SLR digital camera

I've been looking at the Nikon D60 (and D40) and also the Cannon EOS450D but just don't know what to go for.

I want to have the vibration reduction.

There are very little deals about, and all the prices seem to have gone up (due to exchange rates apparently).

any recommendations please?

Comments

  • Is it for personal or professional use?

    I ask this because I bought a D80 for professional use as I do a few weddings and parties throughout the year. But I regret not spending a little more as the D80 isnt full frame.

    Otherwise if its for personal use then either is fine. My close friend leans towards Canon, however I like my Nikon. You'll also find what matters most with cameras is the lens, not the body.

    Best thing I can suggest you do is walk into a specialist camera store and ask to have a play with them. I found some cameras which had the right specs I wanted were far too small for my hands and I couldnt get a proper grip. Eventually I went with the Nikon!
    0% Credit Card [strike]£2000[/strike] / £1450 left
    9.9% Overdraft £2000 / £2000 Goal: reduce limit
    Career Development Loan [strike]£2961.60[/strike] 20/03/09 PAID OFF! =D
  • Thanks for the feedback. It is for personal use. This will be my first SLR camera and I'm overloaded by the wealth of options :)
  • Thanks for the feedback. It is for personal use. This will be my first SLR camera and I'm overloaded by the wealth of options :)

    Haha no worries, yeh again just go into a specialist store (forget currys or jessops) and tell them your budget, ask for advise and have a play. Calumet are a a friendly bunch. I know they have a store in Manchester and a few more dotted around the country. Check their website.

    Also something to note, if you buy a camera, you can either buy it just on its own as a body, or as a kit, which basically comes with a standard lens. If you can afford it, get the body only option and buy a seperate, better lens. You will thank you self later when you find the aperature is some what limiting you to what you really want to do. The price of buying seperate shouldnt be all that different either. I bought my D80 with a kit and I hardly use it. I have a faster Sigma lens which is absolutely awesome, its crisper, clearer so much easier to play with in darker environments.
    0% Credit Card [strike]£2000[/strike] / £1450 left
    9.9% Overdraft £2000 / £2000 Goal: reduce limit
    Career Development Loan [strike]£2961.60[/strike] 20/03/09 PAID OFF! =D
  • I bought the Nikon D40 for my first DSLR. It is really simple to use and totally menu-driven. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Any of the cameras you mention should be fine. I'm a Canon user myself and have no complaints. I started with the 350D and worked my way up to the 40D and now i have a 5D too.

    Have a search on the net for reviews of the cameras you're interested in. It will give you an idea of which are the better camera bodies. I know the previous poster didn't recommend going to Jessops to try out cameras, but i would say do go because they let you have a play with the cameras. If you'r e a male with "sausage fingers" then you may find the smaler bodies a wee bit fiddly. Jessops aren't the cheapest place to buy, so you may want to buy from someone else.

    On both the Canon and Nikon systems, the vibration reduction is via the lens, so you would have to buy Canon IS lenses or Nikkor VR lenses.

    As mentioned, you can buy body only and you buy an additional lens, or you can buy the camera body with what they call a "kit lens". The kit lens is supposedly a general purpose walk around lens, but it's not a top quality lens. I started off with the kit lens but soon bought a Canon 17-85mm IS lens which i had much better results with.

    The prices have gone up quite a bit in the last month, so now isn't the best time to find a bargain. Have you thought about buying second hand from somewhere like Ebay? I bought my first DSLR from there and it was a good buy.

    Here's a mini review of both the 450d & the D60 http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-cbKu5F55lD8/canon_eos_450d_and_nikon_d60_comparison_review/

    You can compare the images of both cameras here http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

    It's a very expensive hobby, i must warn you! :D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.