We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Maybe you could get the phone deal you want without moving?

I've been hanging onto my phone deal for ages, mostly because I'm just too lazy to move. However, I don't like my phone and want an upgrade. I did my homework and decided which phone I wanted, but when I called my service provider (O2), they wanted to charge me £50 for the phone or to get me to sign for a 24 month contract if I wanted to stay on the same tarrif. I wasn't impressed and looked around for a better deal. When I found the better deal I called my provider back and spoke to their customer retention department who have cut me a deal I'm very happy with...

My original deal: 100 cross network minutes and 500 texts a month for £25 (on an 18 month contract)

The better deal I found online: Same network provider, 400 cross network minutes, 500 texts, cash back equivalent to 6 months line rental and the phone I wanted for free, for £20 a month (after the cash back) on an 18 month contract

The deal that my service provider offered me when I said I'd found a better deal elsewhere: 600 cross network minutes, 1,000 texts, the phone I wanted for free plus free unlimited internet access from my new mobile phone for £25 (still only on an 18 month contract). All this and I don't have to go through the hassle of porting my number, changing my direct debits and all that nonsense.

The way I look at it, I've got the phone for free, an extra 500 minutes and 500 texts a month and free unlimited internet access on my phone all for the effort of doing a bit of research and making a phone call.

Maybe other people might not have thought of this approach and might be able to use it to get the deal they want? Good luck for those who try :)

Comments

  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Do keep on eye on your DD payments for the next few months. I have been with 02 for a few years now and every renewal time I always cut a deal with them. The first few payments though are usually messed up and they charge me full price instead of the cut deal I have agreed on.
    :heart2: Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without :heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.