Why should I pay this VAT????

Options
I bought a vauxhall astra from a guy serving in the armed forces in Germany. He bought the car and crashed it whilst under the influence of alcohol. As the car was badly damaged and the insurance was void I agreed to buy the car off him through a recovery company who he owed money to for the recovery costs of his accident. I dropped off the agreed amount of money with the company and went to collect the car at the weekend. I later found out the car shouldve been exported under the personal export scheme and now found out that the 1800gbp vat needs to be paid on the car. DVLA are saying the car needs to be re registered and they cannot do it until the VAT is paid to customs. Customs are saying they are chasing the previous owner for this but it has been going on for 5 months and I am getting no where. Any one have any suggestions?

Comments

• firestarter666
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
    Thanks
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    UK soldiers who serve in Germany can buy cars without tax providing they keep the car for a certain amount of time.

The car probably has a British Forces Germany (BFG) Reg plate on it which needs to be changed to a standard uk plate.

I'm not sure if the VAT is due or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport