Will the British Gas rise really happen?

Options

Comments

• kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    British Gas have just reported double profits and large dividends
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've read several threads recently discussing the price hike by BG, but I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the recent tv ad campaign that BG have launched.

The basic message they convey is that if BG increase their prices there will be no point in switching providers because everyone else will follow suit, so it will be far easier to just stay with BG!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Scottish Power have just announced price increases from 1st March this year, of 15% in their gas price & 8% in their electricity price.

CLICK HERE-BBC NEWS
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It is getting beyond a joke. It wont be long before it will be those that can afford to heat there homes, and those that cant. Sadly those that can't are increasing every year. Isnt life wonderful :(
  • scaldyflash
    Options
    Stonk wrote:
    It's a bit like council tax rises. Every year we're fed scare stories about it rising, say, 15%, and then when it's "only" 8% people are actually happy. Well I'm flippin' not! It's still 3 to 4 times inflation.

My guess is also about 15% for gas. I don't mind this as much as I mind council tax going up. The wholesale cost of gas is far higher than it used to be, and we cannot expect the gas companies to sit these making a loss (they aren't charities).
    C'mon of course they aren't charities, but they are making BILLIONS of pounds a year for their executives and shareholders and I cannot remember a time when they have given us, the end user, a substantial decrease in charges when wholesale oil and gas prices have fallen.....can you ? It's been a one way street for many a year !
    Education is compulsory, school is not.
    Education Otherwise
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We need intervention by the regulator
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    These companies are making vast,obscene profits and also conning the public with all their "switch to us,we`re the cheapest" nonsense.

If just one of them announced a genuine price DECREASE you would be knocked down in the stampede to switch to them.
  • Poppycat
    Options
    I sent SP and the regulator a humours email Not that it will do any good but at least my conscience is clear.
  • worldtraveller
    Options
    "Following the further substantial rises in wholesale energy costs British Gas has been forced to increase its gas and electricity domestic energy prices by 22% with effect from 1 March 2006" Centrica Statement 17/2/06

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4723648.stm

Not quite a 25% increase, but very close. Mind you, we're talking about British Gas here and they have pretty much been ahead of most of the game on pricing for some time now, haven't they!!
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Poppycat
    Options
    They will all follow now, its just a matter of time, hopefully not as bad as BG. I suppose I can thank myself lucky its only 15% with SP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure