Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cartons of juice
    meat
    toilet rolls
    tins
    frozen veg

would these be cheaper to buy in bulk than tesco own brand?

thanks
    Katie

I am not sure whether it would be cheaper, but Cosco bulk buy would definitely be better quality then tesco OWN BRAND!!
  • Steph998
    Steph998 Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    I absolutely love Costco. OH won't let me go on my own anymore (!) and when we go together we always spend far more than we meant to. Their stuff is absolute quality - from the buttery scones, to the furniture. Most of the furniture is from the States of course...we bought the most amazing solid cherry wood fire surround - it was about £250, and we bought our bed there too.

I find the best savings on things like bulk buying tins, coffee and tea, the fruit and veg is just the best, and their meat is lovely too. I get my glasses and my sons contact lenses there, and the lens fluid is much cheaper than the supermarkets.

I just can't fault the place.

I only ever go to Makro nowadays if I can't get it in Costco...which isn't very often.
    Life.
    'A journey to be enjoyed...not a struggle to be endured.'

Bring it on! :j
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    I think Costco wins hands down - for me it's not about the price, simply the quality. Costco is an American company and they are simply much more demanding as consumers so the quality tends to reflect that.

The home items are excellent and pretty often unusual things which you won't get elsewhere. Their greetings cards and gift bags are great value and the hristmas decorations (which arrive late Sept onwards) are beautiful.

The meat/chicken etc is all British (and usually fairly local to each warehouse) and they have butchers on site. They also have a bakery at each warehouse and if you ever need a large Birthday cake it's the place to go.

If like me, you spend time in the US on a regular basis it's great to be able to pick up certain items in Costco like Grape Juice, Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix, Hersheys chocolate and others.

The other thing worth trying is their own brand (Kirkland) - my family in Canada have always sworn by it so now I buy the Kirkland washing powder and fabric softener and it is amazing - both the quality and the value. I think the washing powder was around £10 and it does 400 washes (and removes all the stains I've charged it with), think that's great value.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • sandiep
    sandiep Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Neither, they're both rubbish.

Makro advertise one price at the shelves and put a totally different more expensive price through the till. Never put more things in a makro trolley than you can remember the price of. And the office/electrical stuff is more expensive than you'd pay almost anywhere else.

Costco is just the same price as Tescos/asda. It just looks cheaper because they add the VAT on at the end. It's all marketing fluff.

Both of them are significantly more expensive than the proper trade cash & carries (ie booker, fillshill, etc)

And the staff are muppets in both.

I used to own a village shop and would rather cook my head in a gas oven than buy from either of these places.
  • cybermum
    cybermum Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Almost any company and all it's staff can join as long as you pay. I work in a warehouse for tesco and costco came in a few weeks ago anyone could join they even tried to get visitors to join.

Yes,business owners can buy a card.
    My husband was told that as a manager as long as he brought ID to verify to the effect along with other ID he could join.

We were told by various staff that people just cannot walk in and join without providing that info.
    They seemto be quite strict at our branch :confused:
    We saw people in front of us refused a card because they didn't have what was asked.

That said,its a great place to buy things for us.
    Just when we go in for essentials we always tend to leave with a good bit more ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure