Emergency Tax

Options
I know I am currently being emergency taxed.

Will the tax office eventually put it right without me contacting them?

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    depends upon your circumstances

what is your tax code
    why are you on that code etc
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No

I have been on emergency tax for the past 4 months.

This morning I have rang our Payroll department up (ceridian) to be told that they still have not had any word from HMRC despite me having letters from HMRC.

I have rang HMRC up with the ceridian fax number and requested the information be sent to Ceredian via fax. She said it would be sent at some point today.

I'm going to chase it up again on wednesday.
  • dawn1974
    dawn1974 Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    depends upon your circumstances

what is your tax code
    why are you on that code etc

I started a new job a couple of week's ago and gave them a P46.

Tax Code 603L

Tax Basis 1
  • cally6008
    Options
    Wait until you have received your first wages, if tax code still wrong then get on to your payroll department and hmrc
  • whispony
    whispony Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    603L is not an emergency tax code
  • Suewre
    Suewre Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whispony wrote: »
    603L is not an emergency tax code

From HMRC

Emergency tax codes
    Sometimes your employer or pension payer will have to put you on an 'emergency' - or 'special basis' - tax code until we've worked out what your correct tax code for the year should be. This usually happens when we don't know enough about your income or tax details for the full tax year.
    What is an emergency tax code?

An emergency tax code is a code that your employer or pension payer uses on a special basis until we have enough information about your income to enable us to send them (and you) your correct code. It normally makes sure that you get the basic Personal Allowance (and therefore some tax-free pay) but doesn't take into account any other allowances or reliefs you may be entitled to. Your employer or pension payer will normally keep using it until we tell them what your correct tax code should be.
    The emergency tax code is set each year and is a number followed by the letter L. The number is the basic Personal Allowance (£6,035 for the tax 2008-09) divided by 10. The emergency code for 2008-09 is therefore 603L.
    Depending on how it's worked out, you might also see '603L W1' or '603L M1' (meaning 'Week 1' or 'Month 1' - whereby you get a proportion of the Personal Allowance over the remainder of the tax year).
    Quidco cashback paid out so far £745.89 :j
  • cally6008
    Options
    My tax code is 603L and that is what the HMRC have told me. 603L is not just an emergency tax code but the standard tax code given to people these days.

My tax code on my payslips is BR which is Basic Rate (aka Emergency Tax) which I have to pay until the Payroll department receive the 603L code from HMRC for me which will lower the amount of tax that gets took from my wages

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/codes-basics.htm
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cally6008 wrote: »
    My tax code is 603L and that is what the HMRC have told me. 603L is not just an emergency tax code but the standard tax code given to people these days.

My tax code on my payslips is BR which is Basic Rate (aka Emergency Tax) which I have to pay until the Payroll department receive the 603L code from HMRC for me which will lower the amount of tax that gets took from my wages

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/codes-basics.htm

There is of course no contradiction between 603L being the 'standard code' and it being used as an emergency code.

In this instance it appears the the OP has 603L m1 (i.e. non cumulative) basis which is an emergency code.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cally6008 wrote: »
    .... Basic Rate (aka Emergency Tax)

No it isn't. Basic Rate (BR) is ....... basic rate of 20% on everything .... no personal allowances on any part of the pay.

It isn't .... nor has ever been ..... the same as the Emergency Code which, for this year, is 603L. And - cumulative (603L) or non-cumulative (603L 1) - gives basic personal allowance.

If you read the HMRC link you posted ... allied to the post before yours (post #7) .... it will clarify that?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure