We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
pay off credit cards by upping mortgage available funds
bobster42
Posts: 6 Forumite
my flexi-plus mortgage by the abbey gives me available funds to drop down and draw out. I have 15k of credit card debt, the repayments are dragging me down, do I draw on my available funds in the mortgage and pay the cards off??
0
Comments
-
Do you really want to pay for your meal a week ago with a part of your house?0
-
my flexi-plus mortgage by the abbey gives me available funds to drop down and draw out. I have 15k of credit card debt, the repayments are dragging me down, do I draw on my available funds in the mortgage and pay the cards off??
How was the £15k run up? Have you looked at why you're massively overspending and your attitude towards debt?0 -
This post would be better of on the Debt board
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=760 -
my flexi-plus mortgage by the abbey gives me available funds to drop down and draw out. I have 15k of credit card debt, the repayments are dragging me down, do I draw on my available funds in the mortgage and pay the cards off??
If the interest rate on the mortgage is lower than the interest rate on the cards than it can save you money. But,
a) you are changing unsecured debt for secured debt;
b) keep doing this and you will limit your future mortgage options;
c) consider how you willl clear the amount. If you have a repayment mortgage over 20 years +, you will pay fir it in the long run. If you have an interest only mortgage you have to think how you are going to clear the debt;
d) work out why you got into this state and how you will avoid a repeat performance.I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.0 -
I have run this up by starting a business, it's a repayment mortgage so i know i will be paying in the long run. The draw down will put my payments up £95/month vs. the £300 on cards. I wont be extending the period of mortgage. Rubbish situation I know.0
-
I have run this up by starting a business, it's a repayment mortgage so i know i will be paying in the long run. The draw down will put my payments up £95/month vs. the £300 on cards. I wont be extending the period of mortgage. Rubbish situation I know.
Can you shift (some of) the debt to a 0% balance transfer?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
