We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Overpayment Confusion??

HI

I'm thinking of overpaying on my mortgage but have a question - can anyone help?

If I overpay by £160 I save 7 years and about £16,000. However, if I just put £160 a month under my mattress for the same shortened period (13 years) I will have nearly £25,000. Have I made an error in the calculations?

Details - mortgage £75011, 4.89%, 20 years to go.

Thanks - I'm pulling my hair out as conventional wisdom says that overpaying must save you money.
5.2kW (13 x Hyundai 400w), SSE, Central Bedfordshire. Panels installed Dec 2021. Hyundia e-Kona.

Comments

  • loki13
    loki13 Posts: 117 Forumite
    You will save money overpaying - approx £16000 in interest. If you don't overpay, your total repayments would be £118000, if you overpay, total repayments would be about £102000. This is assuming your interest rate stays the same for the full 20 or 13 yeears (if you overpay.
    I refuse to enter a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent:rolleyes:
  • dpc197
    dpc197 Posts: 15 Forumite
    HI
    However, if I just put £160 a month under my mattress for the same shortened period (13 years) I will have nearly £25,000.

    ....and a mortgage balance of 35k ish, whereas by overpaying you'd be mortgage free :j
  • dpc197 wrote: »
    ....and a mortgage balance of 35k ish, whereas by overpaying you'd be mortgage free :j

    Yes - a very good point. Thanks!
    5.2kW (13 x Hyundai 400w), SSE, Central Bedfordshire. Panels installed Dec 2021. Hyundia e-Kona.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.