We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Ripped off by Nationwide?
V70_windsurfer
Posts: 4 Newbie
Am I being ripped off by Nationwide? Any advice would be appreciated.
If I transfer funds from my Nationwide account to another Nationwide customers account it arrives in their account immediately; as I would expect as it is only an automated computer transaction. My question is; my mortgage payment comes out on the 1st of the month but can take one or two days to arrive in my Nationwide mortgage account, and as such I have to pay an extra one or two days interest (about £30 a day). I asked the mortgage advisor in my local Nationwide and all I got was 'that's how long it takes'; but should it? Why isn't it credited immediately. Is there a genuine reason or is it just Nationwide getting more money from us poor customers? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I challenge them direct. Regards, Jon
If I transfer funds from my Nationwide account to another Nationwide customers account it arrives in their account immediately; as I would expect as it is only an automated computer transaction. My question is; my mortgage payment comes out on the 1st of the month but can take one or two days to arrive in my Nationwide mortgage account, and as such I have to pay an extra one or two days interest (about £30 a day). I asked the mortgage advisor in my local Nationwide and all I got was 'that's how long it takes'; but should it? Why isn't it credited immediately. Is there a genuine reason or is it just Nationwide getting more money from us poor customers? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I challenge them direct. Regards, Jon
0
Comments
-
You must have a large mortgage for the interest to be £30 per day.
......................................................................................
I am not clear whether the mortgage is also paid from a nationwide account to a nationwide account.
......................................................................................
It may be tied up with the fact that Nationwide is not itself a bank.
...................................................................................................................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym0 -
Nationwide mortgages are held at a different sort code to the accounts. So, it just goes through the clearing system in the normal way. RS also makes the valid point that they are not a bank and therefore you shouldnt expect full banking standards. This also applies to a number of the ex building societies that became banks but are still runnning legacy software.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
-
It does go from a Natiowide account to a Nationwide mortgage - thanks for responding so quickRobert_Sterling wrote: »You must have a large mortgage for the interest to be £30 per day.
......................................................................................
I am not clear whether the mortgage is also paid from a nationwide account to a nationwide account.
......................................................................................
It may be tied up with the fact that Nationwide is not itself a bank.
....................................................................................0 -
I don't think this is costing you £30 per day.
Your interest on your mortgage may be £30 per day (£1,500 per month?) but the interest on your payment will be many times less (probably 20p per day).
GGThere are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.0 -
Ahh that makes sense. Thank you. But that's still my 20p and £72 a year, which when compounded over the term of the mortgage is.......lots. And I hate to think I'm being screwed over; thanks for your help in making me realise I'm not paying so much over that I thought. But......Gorgeous_George wrote: »I don't think this is costing you £30 per day.
Your interest on your mortgage may be £30 per day (£1,500 per month?) but the interest on your payment will be many times less (probably 20p per day).
GG0 -
Gorgeous_George wrote: »I don't think this is costing you £30 per day.
Your interest on your mortgage may be £30 per day (£1,500 per month?) but the interest on your payment will be many times less (probably 20p per day).
GG
Shouldn't that be £30 x 31 (max) = £930 per month?I am a Mortgage Consultant and don't like to be told what I can and can't put in a signature so long as it's legal and truthful.0 -
Maybe, but I was allowing for February as well, so averaging about 30 days a year ish. It's all in the rounding...as my Maths teacher once told me, many, many years ago. Regards, JonIan_Griffiths_Halifax wrote: »Shouldn't that be £30 x 31 (max) = £930 per month?0 -
:rotfl: If I were in OP's position, I'd definitely prefer your mutliplication IGH.0
-
Barclays manage to get payments from Barclays accounts to Woolwich(now Barclays) accounts at different sort codes same day0
-
I dont think it works that way. But I would call Nationwides head office and ask them. They will get the nerds on it!"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson
"How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" Woody Allen
Debt Apr 2010 £00
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards