We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Have I been missold my current mortgage.
jimcoxell
Posts: 59 Forumite
Hi all,
In August I contacted Bristol and West as my fixed rate was due to come to an end and asked if I allowed my mortgage to go onto their SVR I could still make overpayments.
I was told that this was not possible but I could make overpayments if I fixed my rate. I did this and paid a fee for the privelage.
I've since learned that not only could I make overpayments had I gone to their SVR but I could actually make more overpayments.
I am a little upset that I was given the wrong information so would be grateful for any advice of how to go about trying to switch to the SVR with no charges to myself.
Many thanks
In August I contacted Bristol and West as my fixed rate was due to come to an end and asked if I allowed my mortgage to go onto their SVR I could still make overpayments.
I was told that this was not possible but I could make overpayments if I fixed my rate. I did this and paid a fee for the privelage.
I've since learned that not only could I make overpayments had I gone to their SVR but I could actually make more overpayments.
I am a little upset that I was given the wrong information so would be grateful for any advice of how to go about trying to switch to the SVR with no charges to myself.
Many thanks
Compeititon Wins: Loads of toot that has gone on ebay
Quidco since March : £540 validated (£480 recieved)
Money saved for mortgage overpayments £2000)..Actually scrub that we're building an extension.
Quidco since March : £540 validated (£480 recieved)
Money saved for mortgage overpayments £2000)..Actually scrub that we're building an extension.
0
Comments
-
You would need to make a complaint basically saying what you have said here, who you spoke to, when and what was said. You should also provide any evidence you have to support your claim.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
-
With current interest rates at unprecedented levels, it is amazing the number of mortgages that have now been missold.
.0 -
Bearing in mind the call is likely to have been recorded I would think it will be very clear whether you have a compliant or not.
The person who gave you that information would have been lying and a review of the recording will prove your case one way or another.I am an IFA (and boss o' t'swings idst)You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an IFA, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Thanks for your replies. They have been very helpful, particularly about the call being recorded.Compeititon Wins: Loads of toot that has gone on ebay
Quidco since March : £540 validated (£480 recieved)
Money saved for mortgage overpayments £2000)..Actually scrub that we're building an extension.0 -
Are you sure they meant you could not go on to the SVR, many lenders are not allowing it?"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson
"How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" Woody Allen
Debt Apr 2010 £00
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards