We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage for loft conversion

Hi this is my first post......I am thinking that what I want to do it not going to be possible but I hoping you might be able to tell me otherwise!

I am looking to raise around £35k for a loft conversion on the house that I live in with my wife. We have a joint fixed rate mortgage on the house with around a 80% LTV and around 3 years remaining of the fixed rate.

We have a second house that is owned outright with no mortgage that we are currently renting out. I was thinking of raising the money for the loft conversion with a new mortgage on this property.

The trouble is while my wife is in a full time job, I left mine around 18 months ago to setup a new business which is only recently started to pay a wage, what do you reckon my options are?

Comments

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,400 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Raising the money on the rented property should be based on the rental income rather than your earnings, though lenders do like to see that you have an income, just in case you have no income from tenants.

    A broker would know which lenders would consider this.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Raising the money on the let out poperty should be straightforward

    With a £35k mortgage against an unenecumbered property I'm assuming a low LTV will be needed and the rental income will be more than sufficient.

    Also your wife's income should meet the minimum income requirements needed by some lenders
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks guys for your replys, I will see what my local mortgage advisor can tell me. Feeling a little more positive now!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.