We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

One Account Mortgage

I would appreciate any advice on the one account mortgages. We are coming to the end of our fixed rate mortgage with Northern Rock. We will then have an outstanding mortgage balance of £20,000. I have been looking at calculations for the one account mortgages, and they do seem very favourable for what we are looking for.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with these types of mortgage as I am not familar with them at all and would this be the right way to go for us at this stage.

SHP

Comments

  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Not sure if it stll the case but the one account has not been the cheapest option for this kind of mortgage

    Look at other options, FD, Barclays etc.


    with a morgage this small, fees are the going to be critical to the overall costs
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    I would appreciate any advice on the one account mortgages. We are coming to the end of our fixed rate mortgage with Northern Rock. We will then have an outstanding mortgage balance of £20,000. I have been looking at calculations for the one account mortgages, and they do seem very favourable for what we are looking for.
    Is there anything I need to be aware of with these types of mortgage as I am not familar with them at all and would this be the right way to go for us at this stage. SHP

    Min Loan on One A/C 30k
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    With offsets so as long as the lending criteria are met(LTV,salary etc) it makes no difference how much you have borrow you just offset the excess.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree that the interest rate may not be the lowest offset but if you have money left over at the end of the month and would like to clear the mortgage fast then I can recommend The One account. The customer services and online facilities are great.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I agree that the interest rate may not be the lowest offset but if you have money left over at the end of the month and would like to clear the mortgage fast then I can recommend The One account. The customer services and online facilities are great.

    But when there are other offset products that do the same for less why throw money away?
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    [quote=getmore4less;18573929]With offsets so as long as the lending criteria are met(LTV,salary etc) it makes no difference how much you have borrow you just offset the excess.[/quote]

    Are you saying the minimum loan is not correct?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    feisty1 wrote: »
    Are you saying the minimum loan is not correct?

    No I am saying it does not matter what the minimum is as long as the lending criteria are met.

    You want £20k and the minimum is £30k so you get £30k pay of the other mortgage with £20k and stick £10k in your offset or just pay it off

    Net effect you borrow £20k, job done.
  • Thanks for all your advice. The situation we are in is this. Over the past 12months we have really battered the mortgage to get it down to this figure. We obviously dont want any tie in's and of course still have the option to make overpayments. Northern Rock have advised that we will automatically go onto a variable rate at the end of the fixed term but they are quoting 5.09% which seems a bit steep to me. That said, I have requested quotes from other lenders who do not seem interested at all.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    First direct and Barclays both have good offset products but rates and fees need looking at carefully.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.