We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Shall i revert to SVR or fix

Hi I am with The Derbyshire, my current fixed rate expire at the end of march. They have offered me to Fix at 4.6% with no charges, or revert to SVR of 3.5% I forgot to ask if i chose SVR then decided to fix would i be charged Any advice welcome Thanks

Comments

  • We can't know in advance which one will turn out to be the better choice in the end. Your guess is as good as mine. Your call.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • maggie21
    maggie21 Posts: 156 Forumite
    How long is the fixed rate for? If it's more than 3 years, I would take it.

    If you knew what would happen in the future you wouldn't have a mortgage!!
  • sj1147
    sj1147 Posts: 36 Forumite
    its a 2yr fixed rate
  • maggie21
    maggie21 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Personally I wouldn't bother. I'd see if they have any other longer term fixed rates, even if you do have to pay a fee, it may work out cheaper in the long run and most importantly it would give you peace of mind.

    IMO what goes down must come back up again. I had a look at historical BOE rates, and off the top of my head, from 1975ish until about 1995ish rates were more often than not above 10%. We are at 1%, surely they have to make their money back?

    When we finally sell and move, I'm going for a 10 year fixed rate, it's still a lot cheaper than any other mortgage I have ever had so happy to 'pay more'.

    I think people are just getting greedy with the interest rates, no one has had one this low before, so surely no one is being 'ripped off'.
  • udydudy
    udydudy Posts: 559 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I would say ask them for a longer term fixed say 5 years or 10 years and if they offer that interest rate then take it!!. Else stay on SVR and wait a few months and hope a cheaper fix will be available.

    My view is that by June the credit markets should ease and we should have longer fixes available without the need for 40% equity that most are asking for now. though the rates for these may still be around 4.5% albiet for longer terms. Even though the interest rates may go down as low as 0.25% - 0.5% :eek: I do not expect much downside on the fixed rates.

    But then this is just my opinion, my last decision was on the ball(-0.29 below base rate in Mid 2007) but past performance need not be an gaurantee for future performance.:A
    :beer::beer::beer:
  • sj1147
    sj1147 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Thanks everyone, there is a 5yr fixed at 5.29, so maybe i consider that, your help has been appreciated:beer:
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    YOu should also consider the cost of waiting

    By this I mean you need to look at the property value and the mortgage amount needed and what that equates to in terms of loan to value.

    Would waiting on SVR, mean that your LTV increases (as the property value decreases)?


    Would that increase in LTV now mean that you are no longer able to apply for the rates offered to you - now being in a higher LTV bracket you would be offered higher interest rates?

    Is your current lender then still offering you the best deal that you can get on the market?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • i've written also in another thread but interested to have all your opinions.. i have paperwork for a 5yr fixed rate at 4.69% but also noticed (later on ..) that they have a 10yr fixed at 4.89%.. i have 14 days to return form .. what do you all think? i never thought of a 10 yrs fixed but maybe that's a good idea these days!! i've checked and it 's portable if we move...
    thanks for your advice as always...
    A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
    Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.