We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Was I missold Endowment?
philhammer
Posts: 3 Newbie
Briefly put in my younger years I was sold an endowment mortgage. I was sold this policy even thou I didnt at the time have or was even considering getting any type of mortgage or buying a home full stop as a youngle single male. I was offered this as a savings plan which could be used as a Mortgage payment scheme if the need arose....
I'll be attempting to claim from the Company (Sunlife of Canada) shortly anway...just interested in other peoples opinions / experiences...
ty Phil.
I'll be attempting to claim from the Company (Sunlife of Canada) shortly anway...just interested in other peoples opinions / experiences...
ty Phil.
0
Comments
-
Was yours a mortgage endowment or a savings endowment?
If savings endowment, you may not have any success. Indeed, the odds will be stacked against you. Sun Life Financial Of Canada operated a tied salesforce and their "savings" product was an endowment policy. They only have to offer what is best in their product range. Not what is best to you from the whole of market. As things like ISAs were not around and PEPs typically had premiums closer to a minimum of £100pm even if they were available, the savings endowment was the most common product sold by the home service companies.
If it was a mortgage endowment then you would have a case, unless you were armed forces.
So, which was it?I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
People do complain about forward selling. Did you ever actually use the policy in connection with a mortgage? If not, and if your complaint was upheld (a lot of if's in there!) you would just get a refund of your premiums, with interest.0
-
I only joined here today...tomorrow I will be sorting throu all my paper work so will confirm exact type then....Was led to believe at time it was Enowment Mortgage based at the time.. I was only 18/19 at time so not at all worldly wise about money matters or as concerned about the paperwork details as I would be now..No I still havent had a Mortgage to use it with so its remained unused just keep paying the premiums each month for the last 14 ish years....0
-
Maybe this is stating the obvious, but with a refund of premiums, the policy is cancelled. If you have kept it all this time for savings, would you still want to keep it going?0
-
TBH as with a lot of other folks I need to tighten my belt...so if I am not going to lose a lot of money I may think about selling the policy paying off my overdraft and then not have that premium going out of my bank every month....0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards