We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

When to come off the SVR?

Having come off a fixed rate at 5.24% I have reverted to Abbey's SVR (4.69) which is saving me a few quid. They have given me options including fixing further for up to 2 years at 4.99 with a fee of approx £500.

I'm in two minds whether to stay as I am and use the extra cash to overpay or take that offer.

I'm worried that if I wait the BOE interest rates may go up and I'm sure the banks won't be as shy about putting thier rates up as they appear to be about bringing them down.

Grateful for any advice

Comments

  • It's a gamble. If I were you I'd stay on the SVR and overpay as much as possible until we start hearing rumours that base rate is going up again. At the moment it sounds like it's going to continue to go down or at least stay the same for a good while yet.
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    and all of you looking to rush to fixed when rates start to rise will be at the lender's mercy, higher arrangements fees, less incentives, lower LTV tiers etc
  • Arrangement fees are already ridiculously high. Do you think they will go higher?
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    never say never!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Why look at 2 year fixes !!
    How much extra would it cost to take a 5/10 year fix
    Do you change your car every 6 months ?
    Think long term a mortgage is usually 25/30 years.
    4.99% for a 2 year fix is poor
  • Depends on your LTV. If it is lower than 60% then it would make sense to look at Skipton and their 4.79% 10 year fix.
    Free valuation for a remortgage £895 application fee.
    Nothing to see here :beer:
  • Mathew
    Mathew Posts: 560 Forumite
    Sorry, did not make that clear, that was the longest they would offer to fix. I would mych rather a longer fix and would settle for a 5-10 years under 5%

    My LTV is around 80%, if I could bring this down to 75% it would increase the offers.

    This was one of the reasons I thought of overpaying whilst at the SVR in an effort to get down to 75%.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.