We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
FD Legal Mortgage signatures
daveb975
Posts: 169 Forumite
I have just been sent the 'Legal Mortgage' document for my FD remortgage.
It has been a while since I have changed mortgages, so I am not sure what is standard now.
The mortgage document says that the signatures should be witnessed by my solicitor or legal adviser. Is this really necessary? I have looked through the terms of the mortgage and they all look fairly standard.
Has anyone else who has applied with FD recently had theirs witnessed by a solicitor?
It has been a while since I have changed mortgages, so I am not sure what is standard now.
The mortgage document says that the signatures should be witnessed by my solicitor or legal adviser. Is this really necessary? I have looked through the terms of the mortgage and they all look fairly standard.
Has anyone else who has applied with FD recently had theirs witnessed by a solicitor?
0
Comments
-
Going back many years, these documents already used to be witnessed and explained by a solicitor. Nowadays, most dont bother and choose to accept the liability they are taking on without the advice of a solicitor.
Some people should still use a solicitor as it would cut down the posts on this board a bit when people start whining about something that was in the contract that they didnt read. However, if you have the common sense, you should be fine.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
we got it witnessed by HSBC bank officials....the document makes it clear on who can sign it...0
-
I took mine into the local HSBC branch. One of the staff members witnessed it for me, but it took some persuading for her to do it.
Apparently they hadn't come across this before, even though it says in the FD paperwork that it must be witness by a solicitor or an employee of HSBC!1
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards