We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2 or 3 year fixed rate?
secondtoughest
Posts: 234 Forumite
Hi, I'm a FTB with a 15% deposit.
I have been recommended either the Nationwide 2 year fix at 5.84% (£995 fee) or the Halifax 3 year fix at 5.84% (£995 fee) and have been approved for both.
I'm not sure which one to go for?
The flat I'm buying is a repossessed property being sold by the Halifax so obviously they are leaning on me slightly by saying they can get things done quicker if I stay 'in house'.
I have been recommended either the Nationwide 2 year fix at 5.84% (£995 fee) or the Halifax 3 year fix at 5.84% (£995 fee) and have been approved for both.
I'm not sure which one to go for?
The flat I'm buying is a repossessed property being sold by the Halifax so obviously they are leaning on me slightly by saying they can get things done quicker if I stay 'in house'.
2016 diet challenge 16lbs/42lbs lost
2014 MFW #114: £5000 overpayments made
2015 Savings Challenge #65: £6000 saved
2014 MFW #114: £5000 overpayments made
2015 Savings Challenge #65: £6000 saved
0
Comments
-
Who has recommended you? Have you just gone to one lender or have you sought advice?0
-
I saw an impartial mortgage advisor first who recommended Nationwide. Then I saw the Halifax mortgage advisor who obviously recommended theirs!2016 diet challenge 16lbs/42lbs lost
2014 MFW #114: £5000 overpayments made
2015 Savings Challenge #65: £6000 saved0 -
and the independent, did they recommend a 2 or 3, what was the reason for 2 or 3 years0
-
I'd go for the three year but thats only because i like to have piece of mind knowing i can afford my mortgage. If you're planning on staying there a while i'd say 3 yr"He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." Benjamin Franklin0
-
The mortgage advisor recommended the 2. I didn't know Halifax matched the rate until I saw them a few days later.
Reasons for 2: Nationwide SVR lower, banked with Nationwide before and like them (might sound silly but kind of important to me)
Reasons for 3: Dont have to re-mortgage for 3 years, Halifax are obviously saying to me that they can process everything within 28 which is when the reposession sale needs to go through2016 diet challenge 16lbs/42lbs lost
2014 MFW #114: £5000 overpayments made
2015 Savings Challenge #65: £6000 saved0 -
for ftb 3 or 5 is good for security of budgeting........0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards