We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

interest only mortgage

Looking to borrow £70k over 10years at interest only. Buying the house, and waitiing for them to pick up and will sell in the peak.

Now what are the best mortgages, should i go for fixed, variable, offset, tracker?

Would like something will no ERC after 2/3 years

Comments

  • Why borrow to invest in property? Is that a good idea?
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    b21playa wrote: »
    Now what are the best mortgages, should i go for fixed, variable, offset, tracker?

    This is like asking .........What is the "best" car?

    One size doesn't fit all, it depends on yr personal circumstances...........
  • You have not given us enough facts to go on.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • b21playa
    b21playa Posts: 80 Forumite
    Sorry for the late reply

    My parents have purchased a new house and I am buying their old one off them, and looking to sell in a few years time.

    £30k deposit, £70k mortgage required. This will be my first mortage and my only property. As I only want to keep it short term, I feel interest only is a better option

    I was looking at First direct, 1.89% above base. I think this was a offset tracker. Has no early repayment fees, etc, so if i sell in 2 years time its only a £140 exit fee
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    If you need somewhere to live and the interest is lower than renting then that is a sensible choice.

    Planning to sell in a couple of years to make money is high risk. If you want the next peak think in terms of decades.
  • b21playa
    b21playa Posts: 80 Forumite
    If you need somewhere to live and the interest is lower than renting then that is a sensible choice.

    Planning to sell in a couple of years to make money is high risk. If you want the next peak think in terms of decades.

    not really fussed to move in a couple of years, if the price doesnt get where i want it, i'll keep it
  • b21playa
    b21playa Posts: 80 Forumite
    what are peoples thoughts about the FD offset base rate tracker/

    seems the cheapest to me so far although it has a £800 arrangement fee

    Thing is as I get extra cash, I can put it in the savings to offset mortage payments, but also have the facility to use the money and just up the monthly payment
  • what is the rough amount of time for First Direct to approve a mortgage
  • b21playa wrote: »
    My parents have purchased a new house and I am buying their old one off them, and looking to sell in a few years time.

    There are some costs associated with buying the house and then selling the house. I would not assume that there would be any profit to be made out of this two year ownership.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.