We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Mortgage Redeption Fee
maebel63
Posts: 10 Forumite
Hello
I know there has been lots of discussion regarding this subject.
I was offered a mortgage with the Derbyshire in May 2006 and advised the redemption fee was £95.
The Derbyshire are now telling me that the fee was increased before I completed my mortgage to £125 and that this will be the new fee, however this fee will not increase.
I have quoted the FSA unfair contract statement to them, but they are adamant that as the offer letter quoted £95 as a "current" fee they are in their right to now charge me £125. I have advised them this is an unfair contract and they are sticking to their guns and are sending me a letter to advise this is their final response.
Can anyone advise if there is any point in persuing this, I have quoted the FSA & moneysaving expert web site
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, its not a lot in difference, but more the priniciple.
Thanks very much
I know there has been lots of discussion regarding this subject.
I was offered a mortgage with the Derbyshire in May 2006 and advised the redemption fee was £95.
The Derbyshire are now telling me that the fee was increased before I completed my mortgage to £125 and that this will be the new fee, however this fee will not increase.
I have quoted the FSA unfair contract statement to them, but they are adamant that as the offer letter quoted £95 as a "current" fee they are in their right to now charge me £125. I have advised them this is an unfair contract and they are sticking to their guns and are sending me a letter to advise this is their final response.
Can anyone advise if there is any point in persuing this, I have quoted the FSA & moneysaving expert web site
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, its not a lot in difference, but more the priniciple.
Thanks very much
0
Comments
-
I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0
-
thank you, I know there have been successes, but the Derbyshire are sticking to the fact that they quoted current fee of £95 in my offer letter and because of this they are charging me the fee of £125 (the fee that it had increased to by the time I completed). They are sending me a letter to enable me to complain through the ombudsman now as this is their final response. I just wondered if there was any point in me taking it further. Thank you0
-
Did they send you a leaflet or similar with the current charges for the date of completion? If so, what did that state the fee was? If that's the £125 figure, I'd think you were unlikely to succeed. But if it states the lower £95 fee, you could save £30.
How much of your time is it worth, for £30? I know it's the principle, but I feel there's a line somewhere when it's easier to just pay the higher fee and live an easier (more stress-free) life than to keep arguing.Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement0 -
thank you for your reply - current fee was quoted as £95, I know some people wouldnt bother0
-
I won , in the end I complained to senior manager & quoted FSA web sites about unfair contracts. The team leader phoned said there was a misunderstanding and that the fee would only increase if I had a further advance (although I didnt mention further advance) and the fee would be £95 as long as I did not change terms of my mortgage. Made a further call to get in writing this did not mean lengh of mortgage.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards