We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Unitised with profits endowment - should we surrender?
lucyandthomas
Posts: 148 Forumite
Hoping that someone will be able to help - would be much appreciated.
My husband and I each hold a unitised with profits endowment with Scottish Widows. The two policies are linked, and each had an original target value of £44650. The sum assured for each is £89300.
Details below relate to each individual policy:
Maturity date: 6/9/2024
Monthly premium: £96
Surrender value (today): £8807
Terminal bonus £824
MVR: £665
Maturity projection (from July 2008): 4% @ £33400, 5% @ £37700, 6% @ £42600
Allocation percentage will increase (from 94%) to 101% in August 2009
We have an offset mortgage fixed at 5.25%.
Would we be better off surrendering these endowments and offsetting the mortgage (plus two lots of £96 monthly premium)? Does it make sense to wait until later in the year when we will receive 101% allocation percentage? Just feels like we are throwing good money after bad at the moment.
Thanks in advance
My husband and I each hold a unitised with profits endowment with Scottish Widows. The two policies are linked, and each had an original target value of £44650. The sum assured for each is £89300.
Details below relate to each individual policy:
Maturity date: 6/9/2024
Monthly premium: £96
Surrender value (today): £8807
Terminal bonus £824
MVR: £665
Maturity projection (from July 2008): 4% @ £33400, 5% @ £37700, 6% @ £42600
Allocation percentage will increase (from 94%) to 101% in August 2009
We have an offset mortgage fixed at 5.25%.
Would we be better off surrendering these endowments and offsetting the mortgage (plus two lots of £96 monthly premium)? Does it make sense to wait until later in the year when we will receive 101% allocation percentage? Just feels like we are throwing good money after bad at the moment.
Thanks in advance
0
Comments
-
lucyandthomas wrote: »Just feels like we are throwing good money after bad at the moment.
You are. See an IFA (not a mortgage broker as it is an investment related product) to explain in detail.0 -
lucyandthomas wrote: »Maturity projection (from July 2008): 4% @ £33400, 5% @ £37700, 6% @ £42600
Would we be better off surrendering these endowments and offsetting the mortgage (plus two lots of £96 monthly premium)?
Indeed you would.
If you did this, at maturity you would have an equivalent return of 45,020 which beats all their projections at no risk.
I would bin these immediately and do as you propose - replace the life cover first if you need to do so.Trying to keep it simple...
0 -
That's great - many thanks for your help. Next stop Cavendish for some life cover quotes0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards