We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pay the ERC?

Got a £95000 interest only mortgage that I presently overpay on.

It's a staff deal at 5.39% fixed for 5 years and I'm still in year one of it.

ERCs I believe are 3%. I have the cash to pay that if needs be as equivalent deals are now 3.29%ish and likely to drop lower.

As the 'official' rate of interest has dropped in relation to benefits in kind would it still be worth my while to come out of it?

I make it that in 5 years time making the payments I do now would see myself with a lower balance than if it stay as I am.

Comments

  • chambta wrote: »
    Got a £95000 interest only mortgage that I presently overpay on.

    It's a staff deal at 5.39% fixed for 5 years and I'm still in year one of it.

    ERCs I believe are 3%. I have the cash to pay that if needs be as equivalent deals are now 3.29%ish and likely to drop lower.

    As the 'official' rate of interest has dropped in relation to benefits in kind would it still be worth my while to come out of it?

    I make it that in 5 years time making the payments I do now would see myself with a lower balance than if it stay as I am.

    If you can get a fixed deal for 5 years that is 3.29% then it might be worth it but I haven't heard of any deals that low (not that I'm an expert in these matters!).

    If you were to switch onto the SVR remember that it is likely to go up over the next 5 years and could end up higher than your current fix.

    Maybe first you should go see if you can really get this 3.29% deal and then make the calculations to see if you save by switching and paying the ERC. Remember, you may need to include other fees for switching on top of the ERC like a mortgage fee and valuation.
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    The 3.29% is an staff deal so not available to the general public. It may even drop lower. There would be no fee to take this out other than paying the ERC on my existing staff deal.

    I'm only considering if I can fix it for the next 5 years.
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    why are you not taking advice from the advisers at work
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Your current deal on £95k at 5.39% is costing you £426.71 a month
    3% of £95k is £2850 so adding that on = £97850
    £97850 at 3.29% would cost you £268.27 a month
    Now £426.71- £268.27 = £158.44 X 60 months = £9506.40
    Take the extra £2850 off that and you would save £6656.40 over 5 years
    This is only if you get a 5 year fix at 3.29% so well worth paying the ERC and taking the new deal.
    Overpaying the £158.44 each month would reduce your mortgage debt even more.
    This is a rough calculation and only for information not advice !! GOOD LUCK
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    feisty1 wrote: »
    why are you not taking advice from the advisers at work

    It's the implications of the benefit in kind that I struggle to factor in. I was being taxed on the 5.39% before the official rate of interest changed. Not sure how much I will be taxed on a new deal to work out overall cost......
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.