We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Even more worrying Endowment projections

The update on my three Norwich Union policies given last summer were as follows:

Policy 1 (maturity date August 2012 - Target amount £67000)
4% £48900
5% £51200
6% £52900
Policy 2 (maturity date April - 2011 - Target amount £29450)
4% £22400
5% £23100
6% £23900
Policy 3 (maturity date March - 2011 - Target amount £4500)
4% £3380
5% £3490
6% £3610


I recently contacted Norwich Union to ask for updated projected matuiry values for my 3 endowment policies.

They have today supplied me with the following info.:

Policy 1 (maturity date August 2012 - Target amount £67000)
4% £41800
5% £43200
6% £44600
Policy 2 (maturity date April - 2011 - Target amount £29450)
4% £18900
5% £19300
6% £19800
Policy 3 (maturity date March - 2011 - Target amount £4500)
4% £2860
5% £2930
6% £2990

I accept that the current financial climate will have an effect on fund values but I am horrified by the drastic cut in the projected value of my policies.
If I take the 4% as a possible scenarion the updated values leave me with a further £11120 shortfall. Is 4% the more realistic one to take?
Have I missed something obvious (e.g. has the final bonus not been added)?

Apart from adding to my worries I am finding it extremely difficult to predict the payouts that I might receive in the relatively near future.

I would be grateful for people's thoughts and comments.
Thank you.
«1

Comments

  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    My Norwich Union endowment has just matured and I haven’t even got the 4% figure from last year. Also don’t expect it to be paid anywhere near the maturity date as mine matured over 3 weeks ago and still hasn’t been paid.
  • Thanks ukcarper. I have read that the 4, 5 and 6% do not actually signify the tue amounts of possible payouts but I must say that I don't really understand why these figures are given otherwise. Do most people not take them as possible indicators of final payouts? I did.
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I agree with you, what is the point of them if a year after you've received them they pay out 5% less than the worst figure. I have another policy maturing next year and have alreay paid £5000 of the original £45000 mortgage the two policies were for and I'm beginning to wonder if I will cover the remaining £40000.
  • Did you get the additional 'endowment promise' amount?
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The one that has just matured was on target at the time so it wasn’t applicable. I'm hoping to get it on the one maturing next year
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Thanks ukcarper. I have read that the 4, 5 and 6% do not actually signify the tue amounts of possible payouts but I must say that I don't really understand why these figures are given otherwise. Do most people not take them as possible indicators of final payouts? I did.


    They are illustrations of what you might get if your investments grow by the various percentage amounts.To be realistic IMHO they really need to have figures for -6%, -4% and zero growth as well as the positive figures.

    This would at least alert policyholders to the possibility that the value of their investment might go down as well as up, something which quite a lot of endowment holders don't really seem to understand.

    This is likely to be the case for at least the next couple of years.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The way I understand it is that the basic sum assured plus Regular bonuses already added is guaranteed, so the amount of money you already have won’t go down. But in this climate it might be a good idea for the insurance companies to use more realistic growth figures than 4%, 5% and 6%. as you say these are more likely to be negative figures. As most people us these figures to see if their mortgage will be paid off.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,859 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    But in this climate it might be a good idea for the insurance companies to use more realistic growth figures than 4%, 5% and 6%.

    The growth figures are designed for long term. So, whilst they may not be good for last year, they could be understating what is coming this year.

    For example, the stockmarket fell back over 40% in the 18 months before October last year. It has grown 16% since then. 4,5 6 or whatever doesnt fit any of that.

    In addition the projection rates assume you get 4, 5 6 or whatever, each and every year. Investments dont work like that. So, even if you got an average of 5%, it wouldnt match the 5% projection figure.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks once again Dunstonh. Just to be clear - sorry to sound a bit slow - when you say that they are understating what is coming this year - do you mean that they are being over-cautious or that it is likely to get much worse?

    Thanks.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,859 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Saying what is going to happen this year is going to be futile as no-on knows. However, the general feeling is that the markets have bottomed.

    Many of the bonus and MVRs were set in November or early december before much of the recovery was seen. So, on that basis, you would expect the WP returns in 2009 to be higher than the projection rates. Although you will see the providers take different approaches with some reducing/removing the MVR and others keeping the MVR but upping the bonuses (or something in between). Unitised with profits are likely to react more quickly. Conventional with profits more slowly. Indeed, conventional may take as long as April 2010 before they reprice.

    The markets have already priced in the recession, unemployment etc to a certain level. So, only unexepected news would hit that harder or perhaps better if its not as bad.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.