We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Question about my Barclays offset mortgage
rednblack
Posts: 48 Forumite
Hi all,
Quick question - I have a Barclays offset mortgage - tracked at 0.99% above base rate. When I checked my mortgage balance online I noticed that the balance went up by about £200 from last months balance.
I pay £804 a month by direct debit, which was set last September (based on the interest rate at that time) and have overpaid by at least £200 each month (inc. Jan).
How can my mortgage balance have increased in one month - and yet at the same time they also tell me the mortgage term can be reduced from 9 years 4 months to 8 years 8 months by keeping to the same payment plan?
Quick question - I have a Barclays offset mortgage - tracked at 0.99% above base rate. When I checked my mortgage balance online I noticed that the balance went up by about £200 from last months balance.
I pay £804 a month by direct debit, which was set last September (based on the interest rate at that time) and have overpaid by at least £200 each month (inc. Jan).
How can my mortgage balance have increased in one month - and yet at the same time they also tell me the mortgage term can be reduced from 9 years 4 months to 8 years 8 months by keeping to the same payment plan?
0
Comments
-
Barclays
Add the interest overnight on the last day of the month.
Take the DD on the 16th
So you always see a rise on the 1st and a reduction on the 16th(varies a bit if the 16th is a weekend)
You should get a monthly statement which shows this.0 -
I think that with a lot of lenders interest is payable on the first day of each month but you do not have to pay it on the first of the month. The interest due for each month is added to the outstanding balance on the first day of the month and your monthly payment is subtracted from the outstanding balance on the day the lender has cleared funds for the monthly payment. Surprisingly if your mortgage starts on, for example, the twenty first day of the month you still pay interest from the first day of the month. What a chiz.
This is my understanding of the way I think the Nationwide do there calculations.
If anyone knows otherwise please let me know................................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym0 -
Thanks for your replie - although, I thought the interest on my mortgage was calculated daily?0
-
Calculated daily, but added monthly.Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards