We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fixed rate

Hi all,

Just wondering what would be a good fixed rate for a first time buyer in the current climate.
I am considering a 5.04% mortgage locked in for five years.

Paul
June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
September - BBQ toolbox
«1

Comments

  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    sensible......................
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Hi Paul

    Impossible to say whether it's a good rate as we don't know the LTV (loan to value) or your own credit situation.

    Regarding whether a five year fixed rate is 'right' I agree with Feisty, as it will give you security for the short and medium term.
  • _Andy_ wrote: »
    Hi Paul

    Impossible to say whether it's a good rate as we don't know the LTV (loan to value) or your own credit situation.

    Regarding whether a five year fixed rate is 'right' I agree with Feisty, as it will give you security for the short and medium term.


    The LTV is 95%.
    Myself and my partner both have secure jobs (NHS and emergency services) and a modest four figure deposit.
    We don't have adverse credit history either.
    We currently live in LA property that is too small for our needs.

    Paul
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 8,221 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Given short term interest rates are lower than that have you thought about going with a tracker - about 3% and then look to remortgage if and when rates start to rise, which won't be for a while.

    savings would depend on the amount of the loan. however, if you can stand the unease now of paying a bit more than others you will be certain to avoid the increase that is widely predicted in 3 years time

    just finally, I am surprised that 5% is best for a FTB, I would look around again especially given recent rate cut

    (all above ignoring fact that many still see 10%+ falls across the housing spectrum (with some areas higher))
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    mark88man wrote: »

    just finally, I am surprised that 5% is best for a FTB, I would look around again especially given recent rate cut

    The LTV is very high at 95% so the rate reflects the increased risk.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    What is the lowest rate/fees you can get?

    I would then evaluate that against going fixed.

    eg. if it is a tracker at a lower rate than the fix you make payments as if it was at the higher fixed rate and see what the rates would have to rise to say at Y 1,2,3,4,5 to actualy make you worse off over the term of the fix

    Remember if they don't get that high then you will be paying off more capital and not have another set of fees to pay in 5 years.

    It then becomes a risk assesment on rates and where you think they will go

    Do your jobs have incrimental pay rises based on service?
    That would reduces the need for fixing, you will have the income increases to meet higher payment so some of the risk of rising rates is mitigated

    One thing to watch out for is the follow on rate, with falling prices you are likely to be stuck with only that option once a fix ends so getting that right could be more important than anything else.
  • Do you mind me asking where you found a 5.04% Fixed with that LTV?

    I have a 10% deposit at the moment and haven't found anything near that good a rate!

    Thanks
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    That's a low rate for an LTV of 95%. That's the rate I can get with an LTV of 30%! What's the arrangement fee with that?

    I take it you've thought out the risk attached to an LTV of 95% in the present market?
  • olbigead wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you found a 5.04% Fixed with that LTV?

    I have a 10% deposit at the moment and haven't found anything near that good a rate!

    Thanks

    I was about to ask the same!
    Squish
  • olbigead wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you found a 5.04% Fixed with that LTV?

    I have a 10% deposit at the moment and haven't found anything near that good a rate!

    Thanks


    Not sure where, I arranged for a broker (through work) t do the digging for me. I must admit that I have found this rate for 90% ltv and wondered if my broker had made a mistake.

    Currently we are saving between £500 - 750 per month, I may wait it out til the end of the year when I will be eligible for a lot more products.
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.