We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Should I overpay or not?

Hi
In light of the new rate drop I contacted Barclays to ask what the reduction in my monthly payments would be. I have a lifetime +.29% above base rate tracker. Currently barclays base rate is 1.5 (this will drop to 1.0% for march) so my rate is 1.79%. They havent applied this rate yet and will be assessed in October so my overpayment is based on 5.29%. I was advised that the rate would drop by around £200 a month. Is it more beneficial to carry on overpaying or reduce the rate and set up a savings account at Halifax who are still offering 5% fixed for a year?


Thanks

Comments

  • kazzys51
    kazzys51 Posts: 214 Forumite
    how much are you intending on overpaying and are you intending on doing it monthly/regular? kazzys
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If your mortgage is now costing you either 1.79% or 1.29% and you can get 5% before tax from a Halifax regular saver then sign up for the regular saver in the morning and ask you lender to reduce your mortgage payment inline with the recent BOE cuts.
    Savings rates are pants so if you can get 5% so much the better ( OH not a non tax payer by any chance !! )
    Build up the savings and fill a cash ISA ( each ) as rates better than 1.29%
  • Hi
    Thanks for the advice.

    I am intending to overpay £200. I am currently used to paying that so it would be silly to not to continue.
    Yes I am a tax payer.

    I just didn't know whether long term its better to pay off the mortgage but at these low rates is there any benefit.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    sniffer72 wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice.

    I am intending to overpay £200. I am currently used to paying that so it would be silly to not to continue.
    Yes I am a tax payer.

    I just didn't know whether long term its better to pay off the mortgage but at these low rates is there any benefit.

    If you are not using your ISA allowance/and or dont have a saving buffer then that is a sensible option while the rates are higher than the mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.