We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Mortgage help - put this on mortgage wanabee by accident
ZoeS_2
Posts: 2 Newbie
Hi
Right here goes....
I have a capital repayment mortgage. There are 2 parts to my mortgage, both with 'halifax', as i moved house and borrowed additional money. They are therefore running on separate rates, etc. The initial mortgage of £99k came out of it's fixed rate (4%) last summer. I was on maternity leave so felt it most sensible to take a fixed rate for 3 years at a rate of 5.99% with Halifax. I also have a further mortgage of £68K on a lower rate of 5.14%, which is due to come to an end in july.
I am totally confused as i am paying £987 per month for the whole lot and am losing money every month. If I come out of the £99K mortgage it will cost me £3000 penalty or £2000 if I come out after October. I will also have a fee if I take out the £68K now instead of leaving it to end in July.
My dilema is this...
a) do I leave everything and in July put the £68k into a tracker for 2 years then I can combine the whole lot when the £99k comes out 2 years later
or
b) do i pull it all out now - pay the penalty and hope the money we save each month will eventually offset the penalty!
or
c) when the £68k comes out in july I pull out the £99k and pay the penalty and combine the 2 sums of money on a tracker - again hoping the interest rates stay low enough for me to recoup the penalty
My other dilema is.... if they keep running at different times i will have to pay admin fees (£999) with the halifax each time the morgage comes to and end. i paid £999 last year and will have to pay it again this year!!
I hope this makes sense...any advice you can give or any suggestions would be great!
We have ended up paying an extra £150pm since the £99k moved onto the higher interest rate (was 4% before) and I have been on mat leave so have been living off savings. This has equated to an extra £1500 over the course of my time off resulting in our savings dwindling down to nothing.
Due to the increase in our council tax, mortgage, gas and electricity I now have to return to work 4 days per week instead of 3, which is what i initially hoped to do! These things happen but if i can save money anywhere it will make our lives a lot easier!
thanks
Right here goes....
I have a capital repayment mortgage. There are 2 parts to my mortgage, both with 'halifax', as i moved house and borrowed additional money. They are therefore running on separate rates, etc. The initial mortgage of £99k came out of it's fixed rate (4%) last summer. I was on maternity leave so felt it most sensible to take a fixed rate for 3 years at a rate of 5.99% with Halifax. I also have a further mortgage of £68K on a lower rate of 5.14%, which is due to come to an end in july.
I am totally confused as i am paying £987 per month for the whole lot and am losing money every month. If I come out of the £99K mortgage it will cost me £3000 penalty or £2000 if I come out after October. I will also have a fee if I take out the £68K now instead of leaving it to end in July.
My dilema is this...
a) do I leave everything and in July put the £68k into a tracker for 2 years then I can combine the whole lot when the £99k comes out 2 years later
or
b) do i pull it all out now - pay the penalty and hope the money we save each month will eventually offset the penalty!
or
c) when the £68k comes out in july I pull out the £99k and pay the penalty and combine the 2 sums of money on a tracker - again hoping the interest rates stay low enough for me to recoup the penalty
My other dilema is.... if they keep running at different times i will have to pay admin fees (£999) with the halifax each time the morgage comes to and end. i paid £999 last year and will have to pay it again this year!!
I hope this makes sense...any advice you can give or any suggestions would be great!
We have ended up paying an extra £150pm since the £99k moved onto the higher interest rate (was 4% before) and I have been on mat leave so have been living off savings. This has equated to an extra £1500 over the course of my time off resulting in our savings dwindling down to nothing.
Due to the increase in our council tax, mortgage, gas and electricity I now have to return to work 4 days per week instead of 3, which is what i initially hoped to do! These things happen but if i can save money anywhere it will make our lives a lot easier!
thanks
0
Comments
-
You might consider this:- When one mortgage runs out let it move to the SVR rate ( No arrangement fee I think ) then wait for the other to run out and go to the SVR rate then move both at once to wherever. I have not done the sums myself but at first sight it looks worth considering................................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards