We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Alliance and Leicester tracker

Good evening!

I took out a "discount" mortgage with A+L in feb 05. For two years it was discounted from the SVR then from March 08 to March 09 it tracked the BOE at 1.25% above. At the time a bit of a poor deal for the last year, but now and excellent deal.

My letter last year, notifying me I was going from the SVR discount to the Base Rate tracker said that this would last for "the remainder of my mortgage, giving me an attractive long term deal".

Yesterday I go a letter saying that from march 09 I wuold revert to the SVR.

I know some trackers on this type of deal switch after a year, others are for the life of the deal. I've no idea where the contract is, however does anyone have any similar experience from about the same time? I've taken it up with them direct, and they have the letter on file. I guess the contract is final, however I've been left with less than a month to arrange a new deal after acting on the letter in good faith.

Just curious as to peoples experience and opinion.

cheers

Comments

  • Does anyone on the day shift have an opinon?

    ta
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I think I reverted the svr and my payments have dropped through the floor. I think I've dropped from 4.3% to 2% with A&L. Did they tell you what the payment will be from march?
  • My payment is going up.

    £650 this month £820 next.

    Sounds like noone has a similar experience, I'll wait and see what they say.

    Thanks
  • rlc22
    rlc22 Posts: 385 Forumite
    My payment is going up.

    £650 this month £820 next.

    Sounds like noone has a similar experience, I'll wait and see what they say.

    Thanks

    Do you have your KFI document as it should state in there what the deal is after the initial product has ended?
  • Had a similar letter as well - my deal was 5 years discounted and now will go up to SVR :(
    Called them and was given few options:

    Fixed:
    5 years 4.99% fee £599
    5 years 4.89% fee £799
    2 years 4.69% no fee
    Overpayments allowed up to £499 per month + up to 10% of mortgage in every January

    Tracker -only 2 years:
    BoE+2.29% fees 1% of mortgage
    BoE+1.79% fees 2 % of mortgage
    Overpayments unlimited, also held as reserve(?!?) so down the road I can ask for them to be paid back if I need money.
    All A&L mortgages have 3% early repayment fees, interest is monthly.
    I have 79k and 15 years left.
    Any opinions are welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
  • arunadasi
    arunadasi Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Oh dear, now you have me worried. I was on a similar deal apparently. I was on a discount svr and changed to a Fee Free Long Term BRT + 99% in September 2006.
    The interest has gone donw steadily and now it is £226.
    I don't understand how, if they told you it was for the length of the mortgage, they can suddenly change it.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.