We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Is A&L current SVR competitive? Should I change?
usignuolo
Posts: 1,923 Forumite
I have a standard Alliance and Leicester repayment mortgage and am paying I think 5.34% interest since January 2009 (I have not yet had the letter telling me this). I owe £21,000 and it has 11 years to run. I retired last year on a modest pension but my partner is still in work and earns a reasonable living so we do not go short. The mortgage is in my name only. Should I remortgage at a lower rate, and will being retired affect my ability to do so?. Alternatively should I pay off the mortgage altogether? There is a £195 early redemption charge. I have a substantial equity in the house, even in the current market, as it is an area which has gone up in the world since I moved here 20 years ago and a house in the road sold only last week. I am not planning to move away myself, not at present anyway.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards