We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Higher Lending Charge
CLS26
Posts: 38 Forumite
Sorry, yet another question!
I understand (both from bank publications and from the MSE guide to mortgages), that a higher lending charge ("HLC") is payable on certain mortgages. I understand that if the LTV is less than 90%, the lender will pick up the cost of the HLC, and if the LTV is more than 90%, the borrower picks up the cost (assuming a 90% LTV is even possible nowadays, which it appears not!).
My question is - has anyone noticed whether the banks are reducing this threshold so that borrowers are having to pay a HLC at a lower LTV (e.g. 80%)?
Thanks!
CLS
I understand (both from bank publications and from the MSE guide to mortgages), that a higher lending charge ("HLC") is payable on certain mortgages. I understand that if the LTV is less than 90%, the lender will pick up the cost of the HLC, and if the LTV is more than 90%, the borrower picks up the cost (assuming a 90% LTV is even possible nowadays, which it appears not!).
My question is - has anyone noticed whether the banks are reducing this threshold so that borrowers are having to pay a HLC at a lower LTV (e.g. 80%)?
Thanks!
CLS
0
Comments
-
*shameless bump*0
-
*brass-necked bump*0
-
One more bump.
I will pick up the early triple bump charge................................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym0 -
Sorry - I have no shame!!!

On looking at products on the various bank websites, it appears that there is still no HLC charge under 90%, but some areas of websites are still ridiculously out of date given the current climate. It seems the only bits they change are the rate details...
Anyway, if anyone hears anything about HLC being charged under 90%, I would be most interested to know.
CLS
:thumbsupsmily:0 -
being done more by back door - using LTV tiers on rates
you get the odd lender a lower threshold - and some with a higher one ( but at present often won't lend taht high anyway)Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards