We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Student mortgages in 2009?

Does anyone know if there are any banks that will consider a student stipend as a form of income? I get £16,000 tax free, and I'd like to declare this alongside my girlfriend's income (proper job) to get a mortgage. We have a 30% deposit, so I think we are relatively low-risk.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    What mortgage amount are you looking for? Can your girlfriend get the mortgage agreed on the basis of her sole income (with you still on the application)

    The great 30% deposit you have could help a lot
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • cpc34
    cpc34 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Our deposit is £80,000 and we are hoping to get a place for around £250,000, so a £170,000 mortgage. With her salary of £36,000 we can only borrow £126,000 but with my £16,000 income included we could borrow up to £182,000 (using First Direct's estimates). I've a feeling they won't consider my stipend as it is not technically a salary, even though it is as guaranteed as any income.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Well there may be a couple of lenders, who could look at that for you, based on your partners income alone, but with you on the mortgage as well

    The fact that you have the income (although they will not take it into account) should go in your favour.

    You would need to look at the figures to make sure it is 100% affordable though.

    You would be best placed getting a whole of market adviser involved as this would need them to discuss your case with a lender in its best light in order for them to be happy with the scenario
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • cpc34
    cpc34 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Before mr Stirling come along - this is not advice
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • herbiesjp wrote: »
    Before mr Stirling come along - this is not advice

    Nice one herbiesjp.

    Mr Stirling probably is more stiring the me.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    I realised, but wasn't going to change it! :smiley:
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.