Lost in Debt

Options
DavidF
DavidF Posts: 498 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi this is just a brief outline of my problems.
My mother was taken into hospital in april this year and since then there has been 1 family disaster after another. The result of this is that i have come back to scotland after living in england for 12 years. The problem is that i was untill 2 years ago in regular employment as an electrician. I have been diagnosed as having acute stress. So therefore i am not working and am looking after my parents full time. Dad has just had an op to remove cancer and mother has just suffered a stroke.

Anyway the problem is tha i have left behind a lot of debt.
Credit Cards - £5000
Car Finance - £6000(have paid 1 third)
Loan - £8000
Overdraft - £2000
Parking Fine - £500 (in hands of Bailiffs)

Now i have contact with my previous landlady in england so i do have access to all the threatining letters and am kept up to date with the incomming phone calls.

These companies do not know where i am at the moment but i do intend trying to sort this out somehow after the new year. I cannot see me working at any time in the near future. Can anyone give me any advice on where i should start.

Comments

• asharon
    asharon Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact citizens advice and begin with them.

edit - also call the National Debtline. I don't know the number but it should be searchable.
    Nice to save.
  • DavidF
    Options
    Does anyone know if im breaking the law at the moment?
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    All your doing is running up more debt , i.e charges and penalties.

Now if they take it to court, then it depends on what they decide there.
  • DavidF
    Options
    So i just contact CAB and they will help i must say that i thought i could get some more guidance from the experienced pepole on this forum. But i will go and see them after new year. Dont think i am knocking you peeps im not i was just clutching at straws i feel so depressed but thanks for the advice anyway.
  • svmitche
    svmitche Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Hi David,

Please don't think that the posters on this board are unwilling to help you. The thing is that a lot of new site users post as you did, but all the advice we can offer is fully explained in Martin's 'how-to' guides.

I'm not trying to palm you off, please don't think that, but alongside contacting your local CAB, the first thing you should do is spend some time reading the articles that Martin has put together.

The forum users are always there for support, a chivvie-up and extra advice, if needed, but Martin's advice on the main site is spot on. Please use the links on the left here to read the articles Martin has written. If you can get a copy of his book from somewhere, all the better!

Please don't lose heart with your financial situation. The CAB and National Debtline can help you and will help you if you are upfront with them.

Good luck with your first steps, and let us know how you get on!
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options

These companies do not know where i am at the moment but i do intend trying to sort this out somehow after the new year. I cannot see me working at any time in the near future. Can anyone give me any advice on where i should start.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. You clearly have a lot on your plate at the moment.

Ignoring the debts will only add to your woes, I'm afraid. They will catch up with you eventually, so it's far better to contact them and let them know you're having genuine difficulties.

Have a look at the National Debtline site. They have advice about the position in Scotland as well as England & Wales.

Call them - they're a debt charity who help people just like you. They are friendly helpful folk who will steer you into calmer waters. You really want your creditors to back off and National Debtline will help you achieve this.

Very best of luck

https://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk

Telephone 0808 808 4000
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • DavidF
    Options
    Thanks foe the help and advice. I promise all that i wll contact the debtline. Thankyou once again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure