We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Nationwide Fixed or Base Mortgage rate?

2»

Comments

  • Squish_21
    Squish_21 Posts: 676 Forumite
    It is very interesting reading the above thread. I am in a simalar position but I still owe £125k on my mortgage over 27 years!! My 2 year fixed rate ran out in Sept and I am now just on the Nationwide variable base rate. This is working quite well for me at the moment as the interest rates are going down but I am looking for a fixed rate deal at around 3-4% which I can fix for a long period. Is this the right thing to do? What advise can you give?

    Dan sounds like a good plan to me. I think and hope the fixed rates will come down soon. This will then be your perfect opportunity to fix at a low rate.

    I drop to SVR next month :j
    Squish
  • JayZed
    JayZed Posts: 731 Forumite
    I'll also be dropping onto the BMR shortly and I plan to stay on it for a few months. I wouldn't fix at 4.88 - I think fixed rate deals will come down further, though obviously the trick is to catch them at the right time before they bounce up again!
  • Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm leaning towards a fixed rate so that I have the security but I might stay on the BMR for a while and make some overpayments. I've checked a few of the other banks and their remortgage rates are not that good. I coudn't see any under 5% and of course there's the hassle of moving to another lender.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The BOE rate is now 1% and the lenders have not really dropped there long term fixed rate deals YET with rates of just below 5% for 5 and 10 year deals.
    If you can get a 5/10 year fix for 4/4.5% that would be very good in todays market.
    What difference 0.5% would make when you only owe £38k
    The other idea to spread the mortgage over the 8 year term take a 5 year fix at 4.88% and overpay say £215/220 a month would also clear the mortgage in 5 years. GOOD LUCK
  • dimbo61 wrote: »
    The BOE rate is now 1% and the lenders have not really dropped there long term fixed rate deals YET with rates of just below 5% for 5 and 10 year deals.
    If you can get a 5/10 year fix for 4/4.5% that would be very good in todays market.
    What difference 0.5% would make when you only owe £38k
    The other idea to spread the mortgage over the 8 year term take a 5 year fix at 4.88% and overpay say £215/220 a month would also clear the mortgage in 5 years. GOOD LUCK

    I remember the bad old days of the eighties with sky high interest rates so under 5% seems pretty good to me. I think a bird in the hand is better these days especially when you just don't know what the global financial situation will be like in a few years time. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.