We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage Valuation comes in HIGHER than purchase price

I'm buying a new build flat. There has been problems with completion owing to bankruptcy, new firm coming in etc. Anyway the price has always remained static (in 2 years), which I argued in the face of the current house price downturn. My mortgage offer expired so I applied for a new one with the Halifax. They've been out and valued it and their valuer has put it at more than the price it is up for. I find that very strange, particularly in this climate.

I certainly have no room for bargaining power now.
«1

Comments

  • downs523
    downs523 Posts: 866 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    how much higher is the valuation stating the property is worth?
  • devon_guy
    devon_guy Posts: 302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    It's come in at 5k more than the asking price
  • devon_guy
    devon_guy Posts: 302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    It's up at 120k for a 1 bed new build, the mortgage valuation is 125k
  • devon_guy wrote: »
    I certainly have no room for bargaining power now.

    You have a mortgage offer and that is all the bargaining power you need.
    The valuation is between the Halifax and you, the vendor will not know your valuation. Make an offer of less than you are prepared to pay and see how it goes. You can always up the offer later.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Definately worth a try to reduce especialy if you are close to LTV boundry and a reduction in price gets you a better deal.
  • Was the valuer a friend of the current developers?
  • devon_guy
    devon_guy Posts: 302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Independently sent by Halifax so I would say not.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    have you already exchanged?
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    Where is this flat located? - a 5% increase in 2 years does seem to 'buck the trend'.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • devon_guy wrote: »
    Independently sent by Halifax so I would say not.

    It doesn't mean that they don't know each other, but I can't see a valuer increasing the value by £5k as a favour in any way and risk losing his job.

    As deddogblues said, you have an offer letter and that's all you need. The Estate/Site Agents won't be expecting to see a valuation report on a new build flat, so make whatever offer you want, they don't have to accept it.
    I am a Mortgage Consultant and don't like to be told what I can and can't put in a signature so long as it's legal and truthful.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.