We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Additional payment after redemption
ColinHardie100
Posts: 5 Forumite
I have recently moved mortgage from Egg to First Direct.
Since Egg dragged their heels getting a redemption figure to my solicitor, by the time the funds were transferred from First Direct to Egg, Egg had taken an additional payment.
Just phoned Egg to make sure I get this money back (£700), to be told that they will observe a '21 day cooling off period' just incase I don't want leave them. I have left them, I have taken all my savings away from them and have no intention of returning.
Can anyone answer me why they are observing this cooling off period (is this an industry standard thing) beyond accruing interest on my money whilst they keep it in their account...cause I can think of no other valid reason for not giving me my money back!
Does anyone else think the Egg's standards have dropped through the floor, I was a happy customer for so long but now they seem to want to lose custom?
Regards
Colin
Since Egg dragged their heels getting a redemption figure to my solicitor, by the time the funds were transferred from First Direct to Egg, Egg had taken an additional payment.
Just phoned Egg to make sure I get this money back (£700), to be told that they will observe a '21 day cooling off period' just incase I don't want leave them. I have left them, I have taken all my savings away from them and have no intention of returning.
Can anyone answer me why they are observing this cooling off period (is this an industry standard thing) beyond accruing interest on my money whilst they keep it in their account...cause I can think of no other valid reason for not giving me my money back!
Does anyone else think the Egg's standards have dropped through the floor, I was a happy customer for so long but now they seem to want to lose custom?
Regards
Colin
0
Comments
-
I think the cooling off period is a red herring.
Its more likely that they wait 21 days in case the direct debit gets recalled and you dont get refunded twice. It can take up to 8 working days for a recalled direct debit to appear on the system. Then add a bit more for service levels.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards