We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage miss sold ?

18 months ago I changed my mortgage from Woolwich to Barclays (O.K. I know they are one and the same ).
I was advised to go for a fixed rate, 'as the rates never go down' ! ! ! !
Was I miss sold this product ?
«1

Comments

  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Surely you are joking?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Was I miss sold this product ?

    What is it Martin has posted on the right.... "There's no such thing as a stupid question"

    Erm yes there is and this has to be it.



    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mini_Bear
    Mini_Bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    Im sure no-one held a gun to you ur head and forced you to agree the mortgage. At the end of the day many people who work in branch banks know little more on the likely outcome of the economy than anyone else. All financial advise must be carefully considered. A fixed rate is just that. Your fixed = stuck. Many people chose these for their security and when interest rates rise this is a good thing. Perhaps work out how much you could save if you change mortgages and paid all the early redemption fees etc. Doubt it would cost in. There are a lot of people in your position - my partner included!
  • Professional Financal Advisers can only offer facts. The facts were that interest rates were historically low (at 5-6%) and were likely to rise. Nobody knew that they would fall so dramatically.

    While you have taken a poor mortgage deal, nobody would have known it was so at the time. Financial Advisers are not fortune-tellers.

    GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • likewise rates could suddenly rise to 15% like they did in the 80's. In that case those with a fixed rate deal are winning, and those with trackers are losing.

    You take your gamble, and remember: Some you win, others you lose.
    Mortgages Oct 2020: £308,283 Jul 2021 £286,600 October 2022 £253,456 MFW-22 #9 MFIT-T6 #35
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Raykay wrote: »
    I was advised to go for a fixed rate, 'as the rates never go down' ! ! ! !

    If they put had put that in writing to you ( which they no doubt didn't) you would have a case against them
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Raykay wrote: »
    18 months ago I changed my mortgage from Woolwich to Barclays (O.K. I know they are one and the same ).
    I was advised to go for a fixed rate, 'as the rates never go down' ! ! ! !
    Was I miss sold this product ?

    What and you believed them!! More fool you.
  • betmunch
    betmunch Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    I think you might have a case if you can prove this was said, which I think you wont be able to do.

    Check the original offer and see if it says Johny Advisor recomended you take this product. If it is a recomended product then you have a case.

    But it only brings you back to proving that the advisor recomended the product "because interest rates never go down" which is highly unlikely. If you are lucky you will have a letter of suitability with some of the paperwork, that will detail why an advisor recomended a certain product.

    Good luck if you do persue this, but I think the advisor would not have left himself open to a miss selling claim
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • cranezoe
    cranezoe Posts: 434 Forumite
    Course they could have meant "maybe the fixed rate is the best for you as during the time you are on this fixed rate the rate never goes down" as opposed to the bank of england base rate never goes down?

    I dont see why you would believe that rates never go down... they have done in the past so why not now?
  • betmunch
    betmunch Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Thats a good call, could easily have happened.

    Either way the issue is going to be proving it was said. And even then it would have to be an advised sale. If it was execution only then it doesnt matter what was said by the advisor!

    I'd like to know how this pans out, please keep us posted
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.