We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Interest on repayment mortgage

I have a repayment mortgage with the Alliance and Leicester. On 1 Jan 2008 the interest rate was 7.89%, it has reduced over the last 12 months to 5.84% last month, which still seems high to me. It has 12 years left to run and in theory I am paying back proportionately more capital and less interest but there is still a sizeable interest charge each year. Would I be better off remortgaging? If so, who with? (I asked Barclays where I bank about an Offset mortgage but they said the mortgage has to be over £25,000 (mine is just below) AND linked to an insurance policy which I would have to buy from Barclays. Can anyone suggest a better deal.

Comments

  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    If going for the offset you can borrow £25k+ as long as the LTV is ok and just offset what you don't need to redeam the existing mortgage.

    Not sure about the insurance policy we don't have one with our offset mortgage from Barclays.

    I thought they were not allowed to insist on using their own or any policies
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.