Hatton Garden or Birmingham Jewellery Quater?

Options
Having done loads of reading up on diamonds etc, and read the engagement ring thread on the Weddings forum, can anyone tell me if Hatton Garden or the Birmingham Jewellery Quater would be best for a visit to buy an eternity ring?

We live roughly half way between the two, so distance isn't really a factor for me.

I have spent ages looking round local jewellers and on the web, I really can't bring myself to order one on-line as I want to see it first, so think a trip to either London or Brimingham is the way to get the ring I want. I Would really appriciate the opinions from those in the know, is one is berrter than the other?

Thank you
Jo

Comments

• BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I'm a brummie and a little biased Birmingham's jewellery quarter would be my recommendation.

If you haven't been there before there are loads and loads of little shops to wander around most of which make stuff on the premises. If you have a design in mind they may even make it or adapt one to suit you.

My engagement ring came from there together with our wedding rings. If I can persuade hubby to buy me another ring thats where we will head. Its a lot cheaper that buying from the high street stores.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.
  • flikkerty
    flikkerty Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Me too, my rings are from the Jewellery Quarter, not just a good price but more unusual, special designs and culturally - there is a huge history around the craftmanship. Lots of talent exhibited.
    And if you come to Birmingham for the day you can look round the largest shopping centre in Europe in the warm afterwards or visit the imax/thinktank museum which explains all about the Birmingham hallmark etc. Phew, Am I making a good case to come here?!
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    yes b/ham for unusal designs, craftsmanship plus lots of little shops to look at , price wont be dirt cheap but still some bargains
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Brums jewellery quarter is fab...lovely shops to look at and excellent range of rings...but iv never been to hatton garden
    onwards and upwards
  • jaffacat_2
    Options
    jewellery quarter has lots of nice little shops as stated before but the designs in the shops are fab, such a lot of variety and if you cant get your size most of them (well we found most of them anyway)offered to make them in your size & collect in a couple of weeks.

Our engagement rings & wedding rings came from there OH doesnt wear gold we got matching rings in Gold & Platnium - same design & size which was lovely.

All very pleasant and some little snack places/cafes to eat in whilst looking around.

We love it there and have to travel 1.5-2hrs to get there. Well worth the trip!
  • supersavingsharon
    Options
    Hi, haven't been to Birmingham for ages and i have never been to the jewellery quarter but i really fancy a visit. Could anyone tell me how far it is from New St station please? Is there a specific bus or is it walking distance?
    Many thanks
  • hopon
    hopon Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a bit of a trek from New Street but there is a station at the Jewellery Quarter itself
    ..........Insert amusing tagline here..........
  • red
    red Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    I have never been to Birmingham, but Hatton Garden is lovely and iconic...I would be really tempted to go to Hatton Garden just because it is so evocative...and whilst I am sure you can enjoy a wonderful night out in Birmingham, can you really pass up the chance of a West End play or a night out in London, maybe with a visit at a lovely hotel and possibly if you are flexible on times you could end up getting a blinding deal on the lot!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Hopeful1
    Hopeful1 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't been to Hatton, but i had my engagement and wedding ring from the jewellery quarter. We had a lovely time looking around the many shops. It was a lovely calm atmosphere where they know how to treat customers. I have a beautiful ring from a relative that needs adjusting, the jewellery quarter is the one place i feel i trust the quality of workmanship. I am hoping to convince hubby he should consider buying me an eternity ring from there at some point ;)

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
    One step at a time ;)
  • jimjams_mommy
    Options
    if you want bus and train information how to get about in brum you can call centro 0121 200 2700, they can tell you times and return time of bus and trains to get to the jewellery quarter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure