We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Earnings multiples

Hi all,

Apologies if a similar thread has been posted before (I had a look on the search engine but couldn't see anything).

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on future trends in earnings multiples? I saw on one thread that the current trend is 3.5x income (I couldn't see what the trend would be for a joint application).

CLS

Comments

  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    It varies lender to lender, max 5x.
    What is your own situation?
  • CLS26
    CLS26 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Hiya thanks for your reply Andy.

    We're looking at small houses that are currently on the market at anywhere between £140,000 - £170,000.

    Our max purchase price (from a month-to-month affordability point of view) is £150,000. We are aiming for £20,000 deposit, so the loan would be £130,000.

    I earn 65k gross, partner is on 25k gross, and I was wondernig whether multiples would go lower than 2x, as we already have the low deposit and my partner's lack of credit rating to contend with.

    CLS
  • unite79
    unite79 Posts: 392 Forumite
    in a nutshell -No they wont go lower than 2x - and before anyone says i cant see the future, I think I can see far enough!
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Sorry - do you mean if multiples are lower, you could get a better deal?

    If so, that is not the case.

    What would improve rates is an increased deposit - if you can try and bring your depoit to 15% based on the £150k purchase price it may improve rates slightly for you with some lenders.

    Most lenders will offer 3 times income
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • CLS26
    CLS26 Posts: 38 Forumite
    sorry jp my post was not clear. I was worried that multiples would drop below 2x, because I couldn't match that. I have no expectations about being able to get a "good" deal from any mortgage lender - I'm just hoping they'll let us have any loan at all!

    Thanks again for your replies,
    CLS
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Based on your income I cant see why you would nt be able to get a mortgage.

    Looks straightforward - you simply need to find the best one for your circumstances.

    Although at over 85% the choices will be limited.

    Are you going via a whole of market broker, as they may be able to explain the scenario more clearly to you in terms of multiples etc, and the whole buying process
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • CLS26
    CLS26 Posts: 38 Forumite
    We're definitely using a broker!!!!!!!

    We've asked around my partner's office for recommendations in the local area. Not surprisingly, we've had mixed reports, but I found the advice on what to expect from MSE.com to be very helpful!

    CLS
  • m1ntie
    m1ntie Posts: 331 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    CLS26 wrote: »
    Hiya thanks for your reply Andy.

    I earn 65k gross, partner is on 25k gross, and I was wondernig whether multiples would go lower than 2x, as we already have the low deposit and my partner's lack of credit rating to contend with.

    CLS

    You have an excellent joint income - £7.5K per month gross, but a relatively small deposit. Why dont you make a conserted effort to save hard for a few months, and increase your deposit to over 25%. This will open up many more options and more advantagous rates.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    CLS26 wrote: »
    We're definitely using a broker!!!!!!!

    We've asked around my partner's office for recommendations in the local area. Not surprisingly, we've had mixed reports, but I found the advice on what to expect from MSE.com to be very helpful!

    CLS

    Depending on your circumstances you may be happier dealing with someone over the telephone/email then.

    Someone who although might not be sat in front of you will take the time to go through the relevant processes in order to come back to you with good advice based on your circumstances

    Just a thought
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.