🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Threatening Treatment from MBNA

Options
2»

Comments

• beautifulgorgeous_2
    Options
    Royal Bank of Scotland phoned on a friday night, again sat morning, on snday and twice on the monday to tell us that we were late paying, each person thought that they were the first to ring, I was quite polite at first on on the monay when they asked to speak to Mr BG I told them that he was in work earning the money to pay them. Do they rally think that he would be at home in the middle of a monday afternoon.. do they really think?
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    is there a way of taping their conversation with you or telling them that you are doing so!
    Carolbee
  • Nothing to do with MBNA but we had Barclaycard ringing us everyday and we told them the same that we had no extra money, and had been making the same payment and had the same income for the last 5 years. Also told them that my husband was about to lose his job and he was off on sick pay. They even told my husband he could use his sick pay to pay the debt quicker, LOL. Funny. Anyway, in the end we told them that if they continued to call we would be putting in a counter claim for harrassment to the tune of around £2,000 (the amount we owe them) and the calls have all but stopped. Told them they were blackmailing us to pay with their empty threats of court as it had not happened, if they were taking us to court then please do so as we would probably end up paying less. Also asked whether trying to blackmail people out of money against the law? Now they call occassionally, each time to tell us they selling the debt on (ho hum), and that they will call again soon. However, they are nice on the phone and polite which makes a difference. They must have noted on the screen we had threatened this I guess. They cannot have what we have not got and with hubby about to lose his job they aren't going to get much more than they are now, but we have paid every month on time the amount they agreed so if it goes to court we can say that we have been paying it back as they asked.

I thought this might be helpful.
  • isgman
    isgman Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    :T :T :T THANKS THANKS THANKS, Yes a Big Thanks to Everyone for your sound advice,, I will stand my ground, I feel 100% better now ...Thanks it's nice to know support is out there. :beer: :beer: :D
    :beer: Keep your Chin up.. it can only get better :beer:
    :confused: I'm one of those people who was born to have money, :confused:
    :confused: but I just don't have any!:confused:
  • crystal_clear
    Options
    Due to circumstances beyond my control I to find my financial situation very stressful and had to default on payments to MBNA.
    So like most others I wrote offering token payments explaining situation sent recorded delivery on 2 occassions. Not 1 acknowledgement just masses of mail from them RMA and CSL who claimed to act on there behalf aswell and a barrage of phone calls MON- SAT.
    2 months into reduced payments they are asking me to settle all at 75% via letter (I dont have 7.5% let alone 75%)
    Threatening all sorts of action etc etc.
    I screen all calls to my home and do not answer if International or witheld and let my answer machine take the calls unless i want to speak to them.
    I pay all my token payments on time and communicate only via post.
    What can they say about me if they take me to court.
    P.S. CAB also communicating with them on my behalf aswell as i am not well enough to communicate when put under pressure due to my health issues at present.
    Hope this is of some help in dealing with them :confused:
    £2.00 savings club =£2.00
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're caught on the hop by unexpected phone calls, you could keep a card next to the phone with 'prompts' on so if you're lost for words when they threaten, you can just read the card.
    I would also urge EVERYONE who has been intimidated by them to report them to OFT and whoever else will listen.
    You could do as my friend used to do...keep a whistle by the phone and blow it loudly into the reciever when they start getting funny. It works!!!
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport