Can I get a tax refund?

Options
I work part time whilst at university and last August swapped jobs, at which point I lost my P45 in the post. I am currently being taxed and not on an emergency rate so I think I must have filled in a P46 when I started the new job but basically I am paying at least 20% every month and if I have earnt over my threshold it isn't by much so I was just wondering how I would go about applying to see if I am due a refund?
Many thanks :D

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you could give us

your tax code

your earnings to date i.e. this tax year

the tax you have paid to date
  • jadelois
    jadelois Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, my tax code is BR NONCUM although I think this is likely to be because my old employer/the royal mail lost my P45. As far as I recall I was on tax code 549L last year. At this employer I have earnt 3279.94 to date and paid 655.40 in tax and the previous employer from April 08 to when I finished I was paid 1951.05 but didn't pay any tax on that :o
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    I dont think your employer has actioned the P46 - ask him why not, or else ask for another one to complete. Your refund will come through your salary.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • cjjohnson
    Options
    If you dont get a refund through your salary, just ask you emplyer for your tax office details and then write to them, quoting your NI number and enclosing your P60 (which is issued by your employer at the end of each tax year) and state that you believe you are entitled to a tax refund, then they will sort it. Always nice to get a cheque back!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure