🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Company Car, taxable?

Options
Hi there! I am going for a new job on Monday which is 95% guaranteed to be successful ie they will employ me! A company car is on offer and i have never had this as a benefit in employment. I will be covering a lot of miles so I guess this will be a benefit to me but how will this effect my tax? Will it be tax deductable and if so how much and how do they work it out? Also at the moment i use my car for various jobs but not covering as many miles but I get mileage at 28ppm, this does n't cover up keep of my car. The company that I am going for a job with have put a company car on the table or 28ppm mileage using my own car for the job on offer. I don't know what to do? Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Comments

• elf198
    elf198 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Yes you will be taxed on the company car - how much depends on what car (how much it cost) and its Co2 emissions.
    I've just got rid of my company car - I think I was paying about £80 a month in tax on a VW Golf. I had the service, insurance, breakdown costs payed for by the company and got 11p per mile diesel for work use. Benefit was OH could also use it. Got rid of it as not doing the miles now so if you are going to be doing a lot of miles it might be worth it.

HTHs

elf
    January make £10/day challenge - £116.20/£310
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And bear in mind that if you are using your own car you will have to re-insure it for work use.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Lifesaver
    Lifesaver Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    And bear in mind that if you are using your own car you will have to re-insure it for work use.

Use for Business added to Insurance only costs around £20 per year more!
  • JOel_2
    JOel_2 Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes there also may be a alternative cash offer. My work offer me the car or a taxable cash alternative (which is actually more that the cost of the lease on the company car)

Joel
    FreeBSD | Microsoft | Linux Nerd
    GNU-PG Key-ID: 0xCBC2F26D
    BSc MBCS MCP
  • ceeforcat
    ceeforcat Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at a previous reply I made to a similar post - not definitive but worth considering.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1418275
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    Company Car Tax Calculator

http://www.whatcar.com/company-car-tax.aspx?MA=1&MV=25391&ED=53709

To calculate company car tax for a different car, select a car using the dropdown menu options and click the CALCULATE button.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,207 Forumite
    Options
    You might also want to remember that companies are also starting to restrict who can drive company cars. You may have to make it available to other employees (within reason) if they need it for business purposes (I used to drive my boss's car and HATED it!), and they may limit the family members who can drive it and how much.

I have a car allowance and get a small mileage rebate (which I can then claim tax relief on as it is below HMRC's figure).
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,856 Forumite
    Options
    Lifesaver wrote: »
    Use for Business added to Insurance only costs around £20 per year more!

I wasn't really referring to the cost - just that the OP should be aware this would need to be done with immediate effect should the job be taken - rather than wait for annual renewal.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Lifesaver
    Lifesaver Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Understood, however, in my experience staff I have worked with that require Business Insurance think it's going to cost an absolute fortune.
  • boom123_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I got the job I've taken the car (a zafira) which will cost approx £900 per year (checked from the link to what car?), i'll get a petrol card to so I'm going to take the car, sell my Mondeo and get a smaller car for my OH to use when i've got my work car. All your info and advice has been much appreciated.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport